 Color / 625
Color change: Let's go straight to the CEO!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:27:23 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

About a year has passed since we learned of TLG’s terrible decision to “improve” the gray, dark gray, and brown colors. Our initial (and ongoing) firestorm was unsuccessful at reversing the change, and with Jake’s recent “locked-color” post http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=2605, the window of opportunity certainly now seems closed.

But I think we have a unique final opportunity afforded by the recent installation of a new CEO at TLG. The new CEO, Jørgen Vig Knudstorp, is only ~35 years old! As others here have pointed out, he, like many of us AFOLs, was a kid/teen during the (heavily gray) classic-space and classic-castle eras.

Suppose we, the AFOL community, could get a well-written letter to him directly. The color change could potentially be reversed with this one, well-placed, shot! It may be a long shot, but it is one of our few remaining hopes, and it actually stands a reasonable chance of success.

TLG’s emphasis since the introduction of the brick has been on the system of play. Changing a 20-year-old core color is inconsistent with this focus. For this, as well as a host of other reasons discussed here at length, most of us would agree that the color change decision was a poor one. (Even for those who are accepting/indifferent, would anyone here be greatly upset by the change-back? I doubt it.)

Mr. Knudstorp may not even be aware that the color change has occurred, or why the change was so upsetting to the AFOL community. In fact, he may not yet even know that the AFOL community exists at all. This letter could serve a variety of useful purposes.

Hardly anyone on this planet is truly unreachable. I am convinced that we could get a well-worded, respectful letter into Mr. Knudstorp’s hands. It would be even better if we could attach a petition to it, with several dozen or maybe 50 names. Unfortunately, I honestly do not have the time to organize this endeavor and synthesize the letter.

I put this message out as a plea to the AFOL community. Can someone here take up the cause? I truly believe it could work.

I know from my own experiences in life, from dealing with everyone from insurance agent to cell-phone reps: Sometimes, the only way to get them to do the “right thing” (or even the thing they promised to do) is to speak to the manager’s manager’s manager, someone who is more concerned about the bigger picture and less about the details. Certainly it cost TLG money to make the switch, and it will certainly cost them money to make the switch back. Although I personally believe TLG’s bottom line would benefit by switching back, it is not obviously certain. But it is more certain that changing a 20-year-old core color goes against the principles that TLG stands for. “Only the best is good enough.” Which is best, the (supposedly) best color or the best system? There is a reasonable chance that Mr. Knudstorp would choose to maintain the integrity of the system. And as many here have said, this one (relatively simple?) act, more than anything else that TLG could ever possibly do, would show without a doubt that TLG is aware of and is responsive to the concerns of the AFOL community; it would certainly win many of our hearts back.

Let’s do this; let’s write this letter, get some signatures, and get the letter into Mr. Knudstorp’s hands. Who is willing to help? This may be our last chance, but it’s in fact a good chance!

-Walter

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi(s) ... you’re our only hope.