 Color / 674
Re: Customer petition?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:55:36 GMT

   In lugnet.color, Larry Pieniazek wrote: I could be wrong but it was my understanding (as a former petitioner for the Libertarian Party) that if you are on public property, permission is not required. However, you can be asked to leave if you are disruptive (block pedestrian flow, harangue people, etc...) If you are on private property, permission is required, but it’s from the owner of the property, not the government.

I see. Well, it’s something we should look into but that all sounds about right. And I think it’s definitely important to conduct the survey/petition as professionally and unobtrusively as possible.

   Still, if it were perceived as likely to cast TLC in a bad light, they might be inclined to say no. (the second order effect of the PR around it getting out they said no might be something to remind them of if they did indeed say no).

Yes. We would have to be clear to TLC that our emphasis is cooperation, NOT coersion. After all, WE are the ones who want TLC to be around for future generations, like this little dude:

Essentially, our goal is to collect valuable customer feedback and present it to TLC’s decision makers so they may take a closer look and weigh it along with the other data already out there regarding their current slump. It might just be that our survey/petition may reveal a correlation. Of course, we’ve already suggested that’s the case but it’s all empty speculation without hard data. At any rate, if TLC says “no” I think it would definitely be a bad PR move. In essence, they’d be rejecting the opportunity to receive customer feedback about their products. Possibly worst of all, the work would be at no cost to TLC since it’s a group of loyal, multi-generational, and international Lego consumers doing it voluntarily.

   Structuring it in a way that didn’t disrupt operations of the store or park or whatever would be key in any proposal for permission, I would expect.

Exactly. I think the best idea is to seek TLC’s blessing and cooperation first. That way, the company can show that it does listen to it’s customers. If not, then we do it on our own and let Jake run with it, as he said he would.

Ultimately, the most powerful tool we have is our wallet/pocketbook. For my part, my home is a 99.9% “blay-free” environment. Unfortunately, I did buy one of the new Spider-Man 2 sets (with the space torso) before realizing it contained the new colors. Since then, I have not bought any of the new sets--not for myself, my son, or as gifts for family or friends. I really like the new sets, especially the new Millennium Falcon, but I don’t want to contribute to their sales. Of course, my previous average $1,500 per year on retail Lego sets may be a fart in the wind as far as TLC is concerned. But if enough people do their part then, well, that’s a fart that TLC may notice. Bigger, louder, smellier, and with a hint of sulphur. Yeah!

Or we can do nothing and go on grumbling about the color change while still buying the new sets.

--Dan