 General / 56056
Re: How long is a length of monorail track?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2013 13:06:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:
But you're thinking about this too much.

... I'm not sure I understand this concept.

If we all agree on-

a straight equaling 10 inches

Inaccuracy! It burnsss usssssss!

I tried physically measuring the ramps, and seriously, the length that the
monorail train actually traverses isn't much more than 10 inches or a
straight piece--it's negligible.

Yeah, it's not a huge amount-- 0.8 studs is only 2.5% of the distance of a
straight, so it'd take about 40 ramps (or 20 "complete" ramps) to make up the
distance of a single straight. But with that said, I figure when we get into the
ballpark of 400 individual ramps (200 bottoms, 200 tops), it's more than 8 feet
of track!

And if we're all agreed on the numbers above (or whatever numbers you want
to change them to--I'm good with that as well),

Oooo! I have some numbers to switch them to! (... Some of them may not be fully
rational, in more than one sense of the word!)

I was actually thinking I might make a quickie web calculator that did the messy
calculation for me-- the "easy-to-remember" numbers are all in stud lengths,
which are really bizarre in inches/feet/etc, and too long in metric for me to
remember. So I always do calculations by converting track sections to studs to
metric to feet (guh).

As it is, DaveE's (et al) record is pretty much not going to be touched by
me.

Though I may be convinced to try.

Yeah, this latest one's pretty big. It could definitely get beaten with the
right participants, but it won't be easy. We certainly aren't looking to try
again in the near future. I'm still working on the final numbers (going through
photos to see what we ACTUALLY did versus what we PLANNED on doing). Should be
in the 1900 foot ballpark, if our 'rough' counts were correct.

DaveE