 General / 55534
Re: How long is a length of monorail track?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2010 16:59:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
RAMP TRACK:

Alright, I just tried to measure using my scanner. I figured there would be very
little optical distortion on the bed of the scanner, so it'll make a reasonably
good straight-on image. Results:

32.7903 studs for the upper ramp
32.8166 studs for the lower ramp
Average: 32.8035 studs

So I think I'm happy with a guess of 32.8 studs of length for each ramp half.

For the record, the number of teeth in the ramps also provide some different
stats:

Curve: 223 on the inner rail side and 228 on the outer rail side
Ramps: 167 (both)
Long straight: 163
Start/Stop: 82
Short straight: 41
(Yes, my mind is now numb from counting)

So, if you assumed that the spacing of the teeth was constant for a piece of
straight track versus a ramp (it's obviously not always constant), you would
get:

Using the long track for a ratio: 32.7853 studs
Using the short track for a ratio: 32.5854 studs

Given that LEGO changes the tooth spacing for different monorail elements, I'm
not quite inclined to use that as a useful measurement, but interesting to
compare nonetheless.

DaveE

OK wait, the number of teeth on the inside and outside of a curve are different?
I never took a monorail power unit apart but I always figured the gearing was
locked together from one side to the other. Does it have a friction clutch?