 General / 55535
Re: How long is a length of monorail track?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2010 17:29:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
OK wait, the number of teeth on the inside and outside of a curve are
different?

Yep! Easiest way to verify is just to look at the ends and compare them with the
midpoint. The teeth are directly opposite each other on the ends, but are off by
half-a-tooth in the middle, thanks to there being an odd number on the inside
and an even number on the outside. And counting indeed yields different numbers.

I never took a monorail power unit apart but I always figured the gearing was
locked together from one side to the other. Does it have a friction clutch?

Nah, it's simpler than that-- there's only one gear, not two! Hence, the
monorail will go about 2% faster if the gear is on the inner side of the rail
than if the gear is on the outer side.

And it'll also go faster on long straights than it will on short straights,
since short straights and start/stops have a slightly different tooth spacing.
I'm not quite interested enough at the moment to count the teeth on half curves
or switches, but those would be interesting to check as well...

DaveE