 General / 56053
Re: How long is a length of monorail track?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2013 20:07:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman wrote:
Did you ever convert the final stud length measurements into inches or
centimeters?

I've just assumed that LEGO's accuracy with stud-to-metric measurements is neigh
on perfect (or, too close for me to accurately measure discrepancies). So, I've
just assumed an interstud spacing of 8mm per stud.

I'm curious what accuracy is needed (in terms of significant digits) in order
to accurately (within, say, 1/10 inch) state the track length of a layout on
the order of 2,000 feet.  Is that level of accuracy possible?

I guess it depends on what the composition of the layout was. I'm pretty
confident in the "lengths" established for long straights, short straights,
start/stops, curves, half-curves, and switches (when straight). Ramps and
switches (when curved) are another matter.

So, in our recent record, the switches (when curved) are probably pretty
irrelevant, because we used so few of them (we tried to use them all pointed
straight, to maximize distance).

The ramps are (of course) another matter. There were something like 200+ ramps
used in our layout, which means for 1/10 inch accuracy, I'd have to be accurate
to within (roughly) +/-0.0008 studs for my ramp measurement, and I'd doubt I'm
that accurate.

I wonder if the patent office has any more accurate descriptions of the elements
that we could use...

DaveE