 General / 56055
Re: How long is a length of monorail track?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 17:42:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:

Dave K

Talking about monorail for shows and such (since we were, indeed talking about
that ;) )....

Ever since the big 12.5 x 12.5 layout we did back in 2009 (I think), I've tried
to avoid putting switches into my show layouts.  First, as we all know here,
switches get old, and with that age, become 'less functional'.

But, more importantly for shows, invariably someone will throw a switch or two
during the show.  Since we usually have 5-6 monorail trains moving around, this
has led to some spectacular derailments (as much of our monorail is well above
the baseplate level)

This isn't saying that we don't experience monorails falling off tracks now--we
still do, but it isn't 'purposely caused'.

I do find that TD'ing a layout without switches is easier, and the separate
loops are more fun.  Having completely separate loops offers lots more
flexibility and takes up less space.  As well, all length of track will have a
monorail train traversing them at some point (which sometimes doesn't happen
when you add a bunch of switches, unless those switches are only for
turn-arounds).  I've watched many families try to figure out where a monorail
train will go in the layout, and the kids have fun following the many trains
around.

In the future, I may add a switch or two back into the layout, but for now, I'm
good that they're not there.  I'll save em for something important *cough* beat
DaveE *cough*

:)

Dave