 General / 56054
Re: How long is a length of monorail track?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 16:46:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman wrote:
Did you ever convert the final stud length measurements into inches or
centimeters?

I've just assumed that LEGO's accuracy with stud-to-metric measurements is neigh
on perfect (or, too close for me to accurately measure discrepancies). So, I've
just assumed an interstud spacing of 8mm per stud.

I'm curious what accuracy is needed (in terms of significant digits) in order
to accurately (within, say, 1/10 inch) state the track length of a layout on
the order of 2,000 feet.  Is that level of accuracy possible?

I guess it depends on what the composition of the layout was. I'm pretty
confident in the "lengths" established for long straights, short straights,
start/stops, curves, half-curves, and switches (when straight). Ramps and
switches (when curved) are another matter.

So, in our recent record, the switches (when curved) are probably pretty
irrelevant, because we used so few of them (we tried to use them all pointed
straight, to maximize distance).

The ramps are (of course) another matter. There were something like 200+ ramps
used in our layout, which means for 1/10 inch accuracy, I'd have to be accurate
to within (roughly) +/-0.0008 studs for my ramp measurement, and I'd doubt I'm
that accurate.

I wonder if the patent office has any more accurate descriptions of the elements
that we could use...

DaveE

I know I'm speaking to two of the most 'detail oriented' people I've ever had
the fun of working with...

But you're thinking about this too much.

If we all agree on-

a straight equaling 10 inches
a quarter straight equaling 2.5 inches
a curve equaling 15 inches
ramps equaling 10 inches
a reverse switch equaling 5 inches
a switch--17.5 inches (I actually added the straight and the half curve)
a half curve equaling 7.5 inches

If we all agree on these parameters, then we can ascertain 'who has the biggest'
;)

I tried physically measuring the ramps, and seriously, the length that the
monorail train actually traverses isn't much more than 10 inches or a straight
piece--it's negligible.  And if we're all agreed on the numbers above (or
whatever numbers you want to change them to--I'm good with that as well), then
that should be good 'nuff

As it is, DaveE's (et al) record is pretty much not going to be touched by me.

Though I may be convinced to try.

Going with this, I should actually inventory my collection again. As it was
inventoried 3 years ago, I have 276 feet of monorail track in my personal
collection.  Dunno if that number's changed.

The latest OBB space layout has 146 feet of monorail track.

I can e-mail you guys the excel spreadsheet that I use to figure all this stuff
out :)

Dave K