 General / 48401
Re: Announcing new comprehensive book on Lego on CD.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.books
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:40:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In lugnet.general, Eric Brok wrote:

I would strongly prefer a printed version. In fact, I just discovered the
printed 1974-2004 Playmobil collectors catalogue, and promptly bought it. Not
because I'm into Playmobil but I like to look at at all the historical
(full-colour) set pics. I can't see why this can't be done for LEGO if it can be
done for Playmobil (by a small independent German publisher).

You say you may consider releasing both a printed version and a CD. But the CD
may interfere with the business case for a printed version.
So why not combine both into one package: a high quality, full colour printed
set guide as the book treasure many of us are looking for, combined with a CD to
search the database?

The problem with printing a book is that once it is printed, that is the final
result.

With a CD, I have a friend who is a computer wizzard (owns his own company) and
plans on putting this together as a CD (even if a book is published).  So even
if there is a printed version, there will still be a CD version.

Hi Gary,

I meant to post to this thread when it was new, but better late than never I
guess.  :)

Anyway, I was thinking about this issue of printed vs. CD again today and
wondered if you'd thought about doing both?  Sort of like what Eric suggests
above, but a little different.

In other words, you seem to have set a cut-off date for yourself with regard to
the historical set and part information.  I think you've said 1994?  Sorry if
that's wrong.  If that's the case, why not make that the printed part of the
project.  In other words the information that's not likely to change any time
soon.

Then, on the CD you can include (and more readily update) the valuation
information.

It's just my thoughts. I'm sure you'll make the best decision based on your own
knowledge of the book and the information you're trying to present.  I wish you
the best of luck with it.

Regards,
Allan B.