 General / 48195
Re: Announcing new comprehensive book on Lego on CD.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:09:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Brok wrote:
Gary,

This is great news. However since you're asking for feedback I hope you can take
this into consideration.

I would strongly prefer a printed version. In fact, I just discovered the
printed 1974-2004 Playmobil collectors catalogue, and promptly bought it. Not
because I'm into Playmobil but I like to look at at all the historical
(full-colour) set pics. I can't see why this can't be done for LEGO if it can be
done for Playmobil (by a small independent German publisher).

You say you may consider releasing both a printed version and a CD. But the CD
may interfere with the business case for a printed version.
So why not combine both into one package: a high quality, full colour printed
set guide as the book treasure many of us are looking for, combined with a CD to
search the database?

Another issue is your strong focus on market/insurance value, in particular the
excessive examples. It's almost like you want to demonstrate the 'seriousness'
of the hobby by flagging impressive collector values. No offense, but maybe
you'd consider to check this doesn't dominate the tone of the book.
Personally I could care less for market value and I would welcome your book
primarily as a historical set guide. There are several set guides already on the
internet, hence my preference for a printed catalogue.
The insurance values ofcourse are ok as an extra, and may be important to make
the book sell by others than people like me.

Eric

Thanks for your feedback Eric.

The problem with printing a book is that once it is printed, that is the final
result.

With a CD, I have a friend who is a computer wizzard (owns his own company) and
plans on putting this together as a CD (even if a book is published).  So even
if there is a printed version, there will still be a CD version.

Sorry to make it sound like I am extolling the monetary virtues of the Lego
hobby.  It's sort of like preaching to the choir.  But when I sell this to the
general public (Antique Trader, Toy Collector, etc) I will be emphasising the
monetary value of the Lego lying dormant in the attics and basements of the
world.

Some folks bemoan a "value" document, but that is already a done deal.  I am
already about 60% finished.  So far the insurance price guide has the following
completed items: 1) Lego basic sets from 1957-94, 2) Lego model sets from
1957-72, and 3) Lego parts packs from 1957-80. (And I was giving some expensive
examples from that list.)

And Manfred (from the Netherlands) questioned about USA prices versus prices for
other areas.  Well with the drop in value of the dollar against the Euro since
2001 (about 20%), the European prices are already lower than they would be if
the dollar hadn't been devalued.  I don't see the value of Lego in Europe being
very much different than in the USA.  If anything, Lego is probably more
expensive in Europe anyway(with VAT, etc).  So I don't see a need to do anything
differently for Europeans, unless I have missed something.

And I don't think that this document will "ruin the hobby".  I cannnot see
comparing it to the fiasco with sports memorabilia.  After all with the sports
fiasco, there were dozens of companies that "got their snout in the trough" when
it came to the most overabused words in collecting... "LIMITED EDITION".
Here we have only one company, TLG.

And to the many of you who alread sent me EMAILs requesting a copy of the book
or CD, I want to let you know that you are at the top of the list, and when the
final product is completed, you will be notified.

One other interesting item is that I am surprised not by who replied to this
thread, but by those who haven't, such as the train group.

Thanks,

Gary Istok