 General / 48161
Re: Announcing new comprehensive book on Lego on CD.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 05:44:47 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

<announce impending CD snipped>

Gary -

I am very much looking forward to this CD/book, and thanks in advance for
compending your knowledge of the hobby for the benefit of all.  As an AFOL, the
prospect of a new work of knowledge enhancing a hobby I already enjoy is great
news indeed.

That said (and take this with a grain of salt as I will likely be in the
minority here, and I'm just one of those paranoid refugees from the sport
card/trading card game hobbies...)

I am more than a bit wary of the introduction of any kind of value guide to the
LEGO hobby, regardless of origin or intention.

Beyond the immediate question of what methodology was used to arrive at the
values listed, there's my ir/rational fear that the Insurance Valuation Guide
(IVG from here on out)  will just become a de facto market price guide once word
of its existence spreads beyond the AFOL community.

It's hard for me to summarize why I feel that's a bad thing for the AFOL and our
hobby.  The vision that keeps popping in my head is that of a clear minifig
shield round, clutched tightly in the paw of a stereotypical Beanie Baby dealer,
black sharpie at the ready to mark the price to 21.00 if it's the only clear
round shield in sight at the flea market that day.

In other words, I'm afraid of my hobby turning into the heathen-infested
abomination that every other hobby eventually becomes once a price guide
materializes.  Sure, it's extremely unlikely that the IVG would have any
negative impact, but I've had enough hobbies go sour on me once the 'unclean'
got involved that I had to make a wildman, sky-is-falling overture just in case.

Did I say I am vastly enthused by the idea of the rest of the CD/book?  Because
I am.  It's just the IVG that I'm yelling jinx about.