 General / 48162
Re: Announcing new comprehensive book on Lego on CD.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:42:47 GMT

Gary,

This is great news. However since you're asking for feedback I hope you can take
this into consideration.

I would strongly prefer a printed version. In fact, I just discovered the
printed 1974-2004 Playmobil collectors catalogue, and promptly bought it. Not
because I'm into Playmobil but I like to look at at all the historical
(full-colour) set pics. I can't see why this can't be done for LEGO if it can be
done for Playmobil (by a small independent German publisher).

You say you may consider releasing both a printed version and a CD. But the CD
may interfere with the business case for a printed version.
So why not combine both into one package: a high quality, full colour printed
set guide as the book treasure many of us are looking for, combined with a CD to
search the database?

Another issue is your strong focus on market/insurance value, in particular the
excessive examples. It's almost like you want to demonstrate the 'seriousness'
of the hobby by flagging impressive collector values. No offense, but maybe
you'd consider to check this doesn't dominate the tone of the book.
Personally I could care less for market value and I would welcome your book
primarily as a historical set guide. There are several set guides already on the
internet, hence my preference for a printed catalogue.
The insurance values ofcourse are ok as an extra, and may be important to make
the book sell by others than people like me.

Eric