 General / 48400
Re: Named Beams (church and VW)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:50:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

   One interesting thing is the named beam (sign). On the box it shows “1762”, while in the set the 1x6 named beam says “Anno 1762”. 1x6 named beams are known to exist with both “1762” and “Anno 1762” variations.

I’ve seen a AD 1762, and a Anno 1762 brick. If you have a picture of a plain 1762 brick that you could share, I’d like to add it to my gallery (with picture credit as shown).

   This anomaly is common in early Lego sets.

I always thought this was intentional in order to use ‘generic’ printed boxes in countries with a variety of languages. I’ve seen several sets with generic named beams in the instructions (on box lids as you specify), but with language-specific bricks inside.

An example is the VW showroom you mention. The VW showroom box shows a “VW LEGO” printed brick, which I have never seen. I have seen (in boxed versions of this set) language specific named beams, i.e.

Any additional information or pictures is appreciated.
Thanks,
Clark

Visit my Vintage Parts pages, submissions always welcome:

Isodomos.com - marking the difference in Lego® parts.
http://www.isodomos.com