 General / 44366
Re: I Just Don't See It
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:47:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Phillips wrote:
So I've tried to forget about the color change and focus on sorting my LEGO and
building some new models.  While sorting, I've been keeping in the back of my
mind what many have said: that LEGO has always had color variances in the
pieces.

Well after parting out a couple dozen sets, I've gotta say that I just don't see
this.

I have to agree.  If you are looking at new brick from around the same time
period, then I think LEGO tends to have a very high color consistency.

Sure, baseplates have always come in a couple shades of green, and I've
even noticed that some of my tan baseplates are very slightly darker than
others.  But with regular brick I only found one piece that was a noticeably
different hue than the rest, and it turned out to be a Tyco brick that somehow
got mixed into a bin of loose brick.  (Not counting bricks in the new 2004
colors, of course, which are just different enough that you only notice the
difference AFTER you drop them into a bin of supposedly same-color pieces.)

Now granted, the vast majority of my LEGO collection was purchased new in the
last five years, and has never been abused with direct sunlight.  But I have a
small amount of brick that is at least 20 years old, and the colors are still
the same.

So what are you guys talking about?

I can't speak for anyone else, but something to came to mind when looking at the
discussion is that LEGO bricks do tend to change color when exposed to various
elements.  I have a lot of yellowed white brick from when I kept my Rebel
Blockade Runner out on my desk at my office.  There it was exposed to florescent
light, which I now understand is a no-no for LEGO.  (It really looked like it
got a tan, too, as the underside was still nice and bright!)

Also, in my collection there are a lot of well used bricks.  I often buy used
brick from bricklink, and I also have a large collection from my childhood.
These pieces are in good shape, except for the color.  Some of my red has an
orange tint to it, and some grey has yellowed a bit as well.  I even had to
bleach some of my bricks, as I inherited my brothers' mold filled boxes of lego.
(This didn't change the color nearly as much as florescent light!) However, I do
have to say that these color variations appear to be slighter than the official
color change.  I don't really know, thoa, since I haven't bought any sets with
the new color, yet.

- Chris.

-Alfred