 General / 44362

Subject:
I Just Don't See It
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 12:48:01 GMT

So I've tried to forget about the color change and focus on sorting my LEGO and
building some new models.  While sorting, I've been keeping in the back of my
mind what many have said: that LEGO has always had color variances in the
pieces.

Well after parting out a couple dozen sets, I've gotta say that I just don't see
this.  Sure, baseplates have always come in a couple shades of green, and I've
even noticed that some of my tan baseplates are very slightly darker than
others.  But with regular brick I only found one piece that was a noticeably
different hue than the rest, and it turned out to be a Tyco brick that somehow
got mixed into a bin of loose brick.  (Not counting bricks in the new 2004
colors, of course, which are just different enough that you only notice the
difference AFTER you drop them into a bin of supposedly same-color pieces.)

Now granted, the vast majority of my LEGO collection was purchased new in the
last five years, and has never been abused with direct sunlight.  But I have a
small amount of brick that is at least 20 years old, and the colors are still
the same.

So what are you guys talking about?

- Chris.

Re: I Just Don't See It
Now granted, the vast majority of my LEGO collection was purchased new in • the
last five years, and has never been abused with direct sunlight.  But I • have a
small amount of brick that is at least 20 years old, and the colors are • still
the same.

So what are you guys talking about?

- Chris.

I have seen the biggest color variations with blue.  Most of my blue bricks
are the same hue but many of the other elements are noticably different.

These two parts in particular come to mind as being a very different color
blue:

Plate 1x2 with Arm
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=4623

Bracket 1x2 - 1x4
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2436

I have quite a few of both of these parts and they are a noticably different
color of blue when placed adjacent to other blue elements.  There is one
more piece that is also a different hue but I can't recall off the top of my
head which one it is.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com

Re: I Just Don't See It