 General / 49685
Re: I Just Don't See It
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:59:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Peter Roberts wrote:

   Now granted, the vast majority of my LEGO collection was purchased new in the last five years, and has never been abused with direct sunlight.

This causes a big difference. Do not be fooled, this is the most annoying thing about building white models for me. A lot of my Lego is 20+ years old and has been in direct sunlight. The white is a totally different colour, it’s really annoying. I have a seriously reduced number of useable white bricks, as so many of them have caught a bit of a tan. I had Lego set 6594 out in the sun for about one year. The pieces that were facing towards the light are unusable, they are such a different colour. However, the section of the bricks that was underneath the stickers is fine (even thought the stickers were transparent).

Peter I agree. I too have a lot of old bricks. Many of the white mint bricks I have from the 1970’s have “tanned” as well, due to sunlight. Interestingly enough, I think that Cellulose Acetate white bricks keep their whiteness better than ABS white bricks. At least those from the 1960’s do. For some reason many white CA bricks from the 1950’s turn a putrid yellow or orange.

Gary Istok