 General / 44370
Re: I Just Don't See It
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:32:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Riley wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Mike Walsh wrote:

   These two parts in particular come to mind as being a very different color blue:

Plate 1x2 with Arm http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=4623

Bracket 1x2 - 1x4 http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2436

I have quite a few of both of these parts and they are a noticably different color of blue when placed adjacent to other blue elements. There is one more piece that is also a different hue but I can’t recall off the top of my head which one it is.

Perhaps this one, I have a bunch of these in blue that are a shade too light:

Brick 1 x 1 with Handle

I have many of these in yellow with a sickly green tinge:

Technic Liftarm 2 x 7 with 2 Ball Joints

And, here’s an example of opaque and translucent dark blue:

I had a hard time convincing anyone at BrickLink that translucent dark blue existed, so I am led to believe that I had a bad lot of the opaque dark blue (and not just one type of part, mind you, several types of parts exhibited the translucence).

Mark

Mark,

Would you believe that I have multiple of the same part ( Technic, Liftarm 1 x 7 with Fan, p/n 32177) which came from R2-D2 that exhibit both of the shades that your picture shows above. I’m not convinced that both colors exist so much as the quality control on the dark blue (or navy blue) was all over the place. Without question, it was the widest variation I have ever seen in parts coming from the same set in the same year.

The best way I characterize the difference between these two colors is like this... I just held one of each part up in front of a light bulb. The more translucent one allowed light to pass through while the other one (the darker navy blue) allowed no light to pass. There is that much difference. Perhaps they really are two colors and someone at the factory used the wrong ABS.

Ray Sanders