 Castle / Ninja / 37
  Re: pirate + ninja

(...) Actually, I was just thinking about that whole concept. There is a big Pirate Game get-together that is supposed to be happening in June, and I was thinking about the possibility of building an island inhabited by Ninja types. I would love to (...) (23 years ago, 28-Feb-01, to lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: pirate + ninja

(...) Hmm, a Ninja island for the Pirate Game... I'll have to think about how that might work into the game... Of course there's lots of opportunity for piracy and whatnot in the oriental world. In fact, that corner of the world is one area where (...) (23 years ago, 1-Mar-01, to lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: pirate + ninja

(...) Well, there were a lot of Japanese pirates. They used to make life very unpleasant for the Koreans and Chinese. The Koreans called em "Wako". Chris Barker chris@superfami.com (23 years ago, 1-Mar-01, to lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: pirate + ninja

(...) No pirate ships. I don't have any and they are WAY too expensive in Japan. Two pics from that MoC are here (URL) plan to rebuild and overhaul this idea later since very few of the photos came out well. Chris (...) (23 years ago, 1-Mar-01, to lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: pirate + ninja

(...) That's a great scene! You can build some neat small ships out of non-pirate pieces - then you could do a Commodore Perry scene. Well, you have definitely inspired me - I already have my pirate crew assembled, and I'm going to start working on (...) (23 years ago, 1-Mar-01, to lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: pirate + ninja

(...) To the best of my knowledge, junks (later called san-pans) were Chinese/Korean in origin. I was under the impression that a majority of Japanese ships were coastal vessels, small fishing boats or galleys, designed for short journeys and (...) (23 years ago, 1-Mar-01, to lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: pirate + ninja

(...) You'll need some black hulls! (...) I think there's a minor difference between full-blown junks and sampans (sorry, I learned the spelling used by the US Navy during WWII--as maru traffic vanished, US subs began spending torpedoes on (...) (23 years ago, 1-Mar-01, to lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: pirate + ninja

(...) Was the train in the water? Can you recommend any good books about submarines the Pacific theater? I've read the Pacific volumes of Samuel Eliot Morison's History of US Naval Operations, but I don't remember there being too much in there about (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: pirate + ninja

(...) I'm still working 300 years before that! (...) Before Hideyoshi's invasion of Korea, there was really no Japanese "navy" so ship building tended to be on a fairly small scale, except for troop transports which were very boxy. (...) extremely (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: pirate + ninja

(...) "Blind Man's Bluff" is a great book about the history of submarine warfare. (...) Japanese pirates during the period that the Ninja sets apply often picked up Koreans from ports they raided as part of the crew. Chris (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: pirate + ninja

(...) The most entertaining book I read about US subs in the Pacific was the venerable 'Pig Boats,' a popular-issue book that was as of 1992 still available in paperback. As for academic books, Morison like most was still enamoured with the (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: pirate + ninja

(...) Thanks. (...) too (...) Wow, even I don't read anything that boring. Actually, at the moment I'm re-reading a great book, A Naval History of WWI. Before reading it, all I knew about WWI naval history was Jutland, but this guy (Paul Halpern) (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: pirate + ninja

Mr L F Braun wrote: <SNIP> (...) Since the first guns arrived on the island of Tanegashima, guns were known as tanegashima for a while, but were later called teppo. Chris (23 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.people)