 Castle / 9157
Re: Extinct Castle pieces (Re: July surprise for castle fans!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 16:59:44 GMT

On Fri, 25 May 2001 16:07:05 GMT, "John Carroll"
<johnc@digitalacropolis.com> wrote:

<various bits snipped>

Extinct and out of production are two different things.  When the whole LEGO
direct discussion started (about a year ago?) a Lego representive said
something about reusing old molds and that they don't get rid of the old
molds.  but some really old ones become useless.  (someone correct me if I'm
remembering this inncorectly)

I take this to mean that sitting in a big LEGO warehouse are molds that
aren't current.  (they can't produce all current parts at all time so they
must store the molds that aren't producing pieces right this instant
somewhere too).  So I'd guess that they still have molds for many of the
older but currently unavaliable pieces.  some may have been retooled,
example: the alien shoulder armor, old style helmet and the saddle, and may
have replaced the original mold.  but again they may still have the
original. Assuming that this is the case I think many of the early 80's
castle set could become avaliable.

From what I remember on the discussion of the molds is this, LEGO
wasn't going to remake certain old molds just for bulk ordering  or
limited production(the limited production was inferred by me).
It is the mold condition that is important, not the age of the mold.
Although the age of the mold may also be a factor if it was made to
fit on a different model of production machinery (physical
compatibility)
So there are most likely multiple molds for the 2x4 brick but it seems
unlikely that there were or are multiple molds for the pitchfork or
euro armor (or that they would remake these molds).

- Single clip saddle

doubtful that this would hold up the reissue of a set.  they would just use
a 2 clip saddle in it's place.  I don't think that the saddle is that
important and they would just replace it.

This would not a major issue, I recall a discussion about a set where
the instructions were done with a  single clip saddle but the
sets that shipped had the double clipped variety.  Don't remember the
set number though.

- Euro armor

It will be interesting to see if they make subitutions or hold exactly to
the original design.  I'm still hoping for reissue of the crusader and black
falcon lines.

John

Mike
--

All other themes are just spare parts for Castle! :^)