 Castle / 9156
Re: Extinct Castle pieces (Re: July surprise for castle fans!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 16:07:05 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Kevin Knoot writes:
In lugnet.castle, Richard Marchetti writes:
will reveal that almost all of the elements, and therefore the molds, of
Guarded Inn are currently available (with the possible exception of the 2
high shutter).

fyi - Enchanted Island (to be reissued) has two castle corner pieces, and
King Leo's Castle has a couple straight walls.  And Fright Knights had the
grill helmet in black.

So... what castle pieces HAVE been discontinued? And what sets would that
exclude? The single-clip saddle certainly excludes a lot of classic sets... but
what else is no longer around?

Extinct and out of production are two different things.  When the whole LEGO
direct discussion started (about a year ago?) a Lego representive said
something about reusing old molds and that they don't get rid of the old
molds.  but some really old ones become useless.  (someone correct me if I'm
remembering this inncorectly)

I take this to mean that sitting in a big LEGO warehouse are molds that
aren't current.  (they can't produce all current parts at all time so they
must store the molds that aren't producing pieces right this instant
somewhere too).  So I'd guess that they still have molds for many of the
older but currently unavaliable pieces.  some may have been retooled,
example: the alien shoulder armor, old style helmet and the saddle, and may
have replaced the original mold.  but again they may still have the
original. Assuming that this is the case I think many of the early 80's
castle set could become avaliable.

- Single clip saddle

doubtful that this would hold up the reissue of a set.  they would just use
a 2 clip saddle in it's place.  I don't think that the saddle is that
important and they would just replace it.

- Euro armor
- Plastic cape

I still think that the mold is realitivly new.  or at least not old

- 3x5? square door?

I don't know

- Old style axe?

used in westren (are you talking about the hatchet?) recent

- Forestmen cap.

realitivly new.

- Pitchfork.

hmmm.  it's been about 10 or so years huh?  I hope they still have the mold
for that

- 16x22 baseplates (as per 6080, and 6080 only?)

???????

- Classic space helmets w/ visors (classic yellow-style)
- 1x1 w/ square headlight (classic yellow)

These are pretty old probablly long gone.

- Round shields w/ single stud

I really hope the mold for this still exists, again about 10 years or so.

It will be interesting to see if they make subitutions or hold exactly to
the original design.  I'm still hoping for reissue of the crusader and black
falcon lines.

John

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there's more... Anyone?

DaveE