 Castle / 2306
Re: the Balladeers of Castle World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 00:38:36 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Craig Hamilton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
Karl Martinson wrote:
Another beef that I have is emblems. I think that everyone has the new
Knights
Kingdom sets, so Knights Kingdom figs could be  the royalty. Someone
(Pawel?)
could have the high King and Queen, while everyone elses figs are dukes,
lords, ladies.
I think that we can agree that the Fright Knight Embelm is the one for the
evil of the world, but ideas will conflict. Nebachaned (ne-ba-ka-ned) is my
lord of the Dark Forces. Someone else could have a completely different
fig as
the evil lord.

Actually, Karl, I think the intent is to have many *different* kingdoms
on the CW map, rather than have everyone operating in the same kingdom.

yes, exactly. each balladeer will have complete authority in his/ her
realm. interactivity will only work through the balladeer code of
cooperation, courtesy and creativity, which is truly the one strongest
majick in CW.

Thus Nebachaned could be threatening your area of Castle World, while
Arjan's Qaballah and Craig's Mephisto are Forces of Evil in other areas of
the world.  (Why is it that most of the 'bad guys' are all wizards, anyway?)

hey! 'lil mephisto's not evil, he's just misunderstood! ;-)

Yeah, and for those of you who think Scar is evil (I've heard this around ;-),
reread (or read for the first time) this:
http://www.geocities.com/shiri_lego/scar.html

;-) It's not her fault!

You do bring up a good point - remember that this is a *shared* world and
that we all need to cooperate.  So it would be a good idea if people did
*not* create characters that are 'The Supreme Ruler of All Evil' (unless
of course the creator realizes that they aren't *actually* the Supreme
Ruler of All Evil, and they're just claiming to be.)

smart way to handle it, jeff! delusions of grandeur make for great
personality traits, especially in a villain!

Funny that you mention this after I read Oedipus Rex in english class...
Tragic flaw (like over-confidence) brings to downfall ;-)

As for emblems - I think they're going to mean different things in
different realms. The Lions could be the 'bad guys' in one realm and the
Bat Lord and his followers the 'good guys'.  (Picture a sort of Robin-Hood
arrangement, where a young exiled Lord takes to the mountains vowing to
exact revenge for the murder of his parents...and to frighten his enemies,
he forges a metal mask in the shape of a bat, because "these petty lordlings
are a cowardly and superstitious lot..."  Legends arise about a monstrous
sword-weilding 'Bat Man' who preys upon the King's caravans...*)

LOL! Love it! The first part is similar to Scar's story - up until the metal-
mask part ;-)

* - OK, maybe I've been reading too many DC Elseworlds books, I dunno...

yeah, i'd say so.  me too!

~ most valid of points. because we are all working with the same elements,
therein lies the challenge. shields and banners will mean diffferent things
in different realms. after all, we as individual creators interpret them
differently anyway. rather than be a problem, i think this will ignite lots
of stortelling creativity.

(example)

"even though king (x) marched under a lion crest like mine, i felt i could
not trust him.."

or...

  "in an hour of darkest need, i was relieved to see the dragon crest
appear on the horizon. but my heart sank when i realized these were not the
allies i'd known for years, but a force much more sinister.."

or...

i'd always been wary of the wolfpack from the realm of (x), but these
dudes were all right!"

I like your examples! That's good material for future reference ;-)
The most likely to be differently-interpreted are prolly Wolfpack and
Forestmen, of which unstated position by TLC created different ideas about
them ("bad guys" to some, "good guys" to others...).

  just some examples of how it may be handled. we're still a way off from
archived ballads and crossovers. we all need to get settled in on the map,
first. i've a feeling that journeys and quests will make for tremendous
ballads, but are very map dependedent. exactly where we all are in relation
to one another will have a huge impact on stories. all i can say is: be
thinking about ship building. yes, medieval fleets! getting quickly from
realm to realm was the reason for devising RDP's.(mentioned elsewhere in
this thread)

pawel and  are running a few experimental crossovers now to get a feel for
how it may work. everybody, mail a fig to pawel!  shiri and i are running a
brief proto-duet to trouble shoot any problems. (going swimmingly so far!)
this was very spontaneous, as you may have read in the "dissapearing act",
thread, which also made the spotlight! ~lol!

Yeah, Scar and Mephisto can't be ignored ;-)

i'd like to think the balladeer code will be the only "rule" we need. this
is the only rule that affords us all infinite creativity. (being lego
builders, infinite creativity is something we're accustomed to having.)

I agree - there really isn't need for anything else (I hope).

my work continues here on the map; i just wish it was the only thing i had
to do. thanks again to you all for your patience and continued enthusiasm.

How big is that map gonna be? And are you totally discarding the earlier one?

-Shiri
http://www.geocities.com/shiri_lego/