 Castle / 2272
Re: the Balladeers of Castle World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 18:05:45 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
Hi Craig!

Like you, I'm also constantly thinking of CW stuff and what I can do to help
it.
I like your ideas about Ballads and Balladeers. Duets and such will be really
cool!

About the realm point, let me get this straight - My realm will be represented
by my character, Scar, and all my structures will be in "Scar's Realm"? In
that case, I want to change my signature character - Scar is a major
character, but she is NOT in charge of my stuff! No way!

thanks for your great responses, shiri. you are an excellent sounding board
for ideas!

you are right, shiri! this (what i wrote) isn't the best way to to organize
things. signature characters should remain just that; the character each
balladeer most closely identifies with, or has a special bond to. realms
will have to be named, tho. it can be whatever one likes. they should be
descriptive rather than possessive, then. ie something poetic rather than a
character's name. (as an example, i'll probably name mephisto's realm, "the
realm of the red dragon".) there should be at least one realm for each sig
character, tho'.  more on realms below...

(Oh, last night she tried to convince me to kill Franz - but I told her that
was just crossing the line. I said flat-out no ;-)

  just because you identify with 'em doesn't mean you don't argue with 'em! lol!

In lugnet.castle, Craig Hamilton writes:

hello, all ~

  well, CW is on my mind 24 hours a day, and i'm working on it about 4-5
hours a day! it would be more if i didn't have two other (paying) jobs. i'm
truly loving every mind-boggling minute of it! the mapping and storytelling
systems are coming together elegantly, but i've got lots more drawing to do
before we get a "world view". a few weeks at least. thank you in advance for
your patience. i can confidently guarantee at this time that every specific
land request in CW can and will be met.

in the meantime, i am touched, encouraged, and amused every day by every
CW post i read. thank you all!

  a while back, pawel knocked loose a snowball from a majickal mountaintop
somewhere in fantasyland. it has since rolled over and swallowed the two of
us, and gaining in size, has swallowed more willing victims along the way.
thank you, pawel, for the ride of my life!

Yeah, thanks!!!

now i want to introduce a few ideas and terms that will tie into the
Castle World system:

in the days of old, stories of all types and in all cultures, were told in
the form of sung ballads by people kown as balladeers.  we are storytellers
using lego, rather than song, to weave our tales! i like the antique and
musical sound of the term, and would like to propose adopting "Balladeer"
instead of the current "Member" name for creators. each story can then be
archived as a "Ballad". in the storytelling framework, the musical analogy
is also applied to crossover storylines, which can then be conducted in
Solo, Duet, Trio, and Quartet.

As I said - Love it!

with the maping system also based on a square grid, perhaps you glimpse
what i meant by the systems plying elegantly together.

on the map grid, certain squares will be designated "Realms". these will
be the areas that host structures and characters.  each Realm is represented
by a "signature" character. ("mephisto's Realm", for example). multiple
Realms per Balladeer will eventually be availlable, of course. perhaps after
four ballads have been archived, making us "earn" new realms.

Hmmm... maybe after the area is full? I think that "earning" realms is
sorta... well... What I'm trying to say is, that not all people might want to
tell stories, will they never get new realms?

  well, yeah... it's sort of the point of CW. ~ models, characters, and
_stories_! so far, these are (and should be) the only requirements needed to
get a realm in CW. a story can be as simple as a poem or as elaborate as a
multi-part novel. i'm thinking each balladeer will be able to pick three
realms upon joining. they can be adjoining realms, close together, or spread
far apart. additional realms need to be earned, and in CW, the pen is
actually mighter than the sword.  since there are no invasions without
permission, completing four stories (aka ~ "ballads", or four novel
chapters) is your best bet for adding new realms to your...

  hmm... what should we call an individual balladeer's collection of realms,
anyway?

i apologize if this sounds schetchy. it's not. it will just be a lot
easier to explain once the complete map graphics are in place. till then,
keep map speculation down to a dull roar, and i'll divulge more details on
the continents later this week. tee-hee!

if castle is our theme; sword and sorcery/ fantasy is our genre!  majicks
of all sorts are given free reign in Castle World, limited only by the
Balladeer's imagination! in fact, i don't think CW would work without
majick! (note the crossed sword and wand in the CW logo... ;-)  just
remember that your "omniponent" wizard is only so in your Realm.

OK!

also, the
existence of majicks shouldn't preclude any historically accurate castles or
structures, authentic period peasant villages or  war-game ready fortresses.

What's that supposed to mean? Translation, please! (I try, but I'm still ESL
;-)

  CW will have, say, a very realistic, historically accurate structure and
story in one realm, with a totally fantastical, majickal (ie, historically
_in_accurate) structure and story in another realm.  ~ broad diversity, like
a quilt!

  not everyone goes for majicks; not everybody goes for war-gaming; but
everybody has a place in, and can share CW.

i think they'll all compliment each other wonderfully!  great fantasy always
has one foot firmly planted in reality, anyway.  there will be a few
guidelines (and some really cool tricks!) for the use of majicks in
crossover storylines.

Like what, for example?

  that will have to wait for the map, i'm afraid. i have three spells so
far, mainly accomidating foor fast travel for characters through the realms.
all i'll say for now, is hang onto your revolving hidden door pieces and
time twister disks as these will be the pieces used in these particular
spells.  of course once we're up and running, more spells can be written and
added to the CW universal spellbook. every balladeer can write/ create any
kind of majicks he/ she likes in his/ her own realm, but i thought it would
be fun to have a few universal, inter-realm tricks to which all realms have
mutual access.

  i hope you all like this proposed terminology. i realize that "Realm
Master" and "Over-Mind" would be impressive member titles, but let's save
that spotlight for our warlords and wizards and be content to be recognized
in Castle World as the humble storytellers we are!

Agreed! :-) I like it!

  thanks, i'm glad!

-Shiri
http://www.geocities.com/shiri_lego/