 Castle / 2196
Re: Trebuchet (was: Sneak preview Estuary Stronghold)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:30:24 GMT

Jason Catena wrote:
I just watched the Siege Weapons edition of the Nova "Secrets of Lost Empires"
miniseries on PBS. Basically, the hour-long show focused on the efforts of two
groups of people to build two slightly different trebuchets using medieval
methods, and knock down a typical rubble-filled masonry-shell wall.

Just read an article (I think it was in Smithsonian magazine) about this
"experiment". I can look it up if anyone missed the special.

It is 10.3 bricks high without the mast, which has its axis of rotation a bit
more than halfway towards the counterweight side. It rolls on four of the thick
4x4 wheels--which I strongly recommend, since allowing it to move increases the
range by up to a half. Also, it's really cool to watch it roll backwards in
steps as the counterweight swings.

Have you observed the range difference with a rolling and non-rolling
LEGO model? The article mentioned that they found that the rolling did
in fact make a difference, just curious how observable that was in a
model.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com