 Castle / 2133
2132  |  2134
Subject:
Sneak preview Estuary Stronghold
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 20:29:54 GMT

http://homepages.svc.fcj.hvu.nl/brok/legomind/models/index.htm
select from menu: Buildings:Estuary Stronghold

These are preliminary pictures of Estuary Stronghold, a medieval fortified
village.

These pictures were taken about two weeks before the model was finished. I
knew the flash light wouldn't give us handsome pictures. Anyway, new
pictures will be here soon.

The Estuary Stronghold lies at the banks of a river where the tides of the
sea meet the current of the river, resulting in large tide differences. The
model shows the Stronghold during low tide, so half of the surroundings are
drowned while the other half is dry. During low tide, carts can ride onto
the beach alongside the castle walls to deliver goods which are hauled in by
crane.

The oldest structure is the large half-round Keep. Other stone structures
are the white garrison quarters and the small chapel. The wooden houses
include a luxureous home for the residing lord, general store, food store,
bakery, blacksmith and inn. There are seperate stables for visitors
(garrison stables are on the first floor of the garrison building) and a
crane to haul in large loads from outside the castle walls.

The main roadway curls gradually up from the lower right and goes round full
circle. Castle walls are curved. In this project special efforts were made
to avoid stereotypical LEGO castle shapes and to have curving and skewed
shapes. In retrospect I shouldn't have used the stereotypical castle walls
at all...

The Stronghold is not a court palace. It's a center of local commerce,
residence of the local lord and a fortress to defend the river estuary from
villains. The garrison includes three parties: the Town Guards (local
'police' tasks), the Garrison Soldiers (elite troops available for forceful
presence in the area) and the Wild Bunch, a small flock of hired 'temps' -
noone actually knows where they are from.
No characters are in the pictures yet.

Eric Brok