 Castle / 2185
2184  |  2186
Subject:
Trebuchet (was: Sneak preview Estuary Stronghold)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 06:45:18 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bill Jackson writes:
Wow.  That was one piece of work.  All those creative uses for pieces,
especially the round towers and the rock raiders canopy, really gave it a
realistic look.  I'm gonna round the towers on my castle now.  And is that a
Trebuchet in two of the pics or is it just a crane?  Because I've got a huge
Trebuchet in towards the right wall of my castle.  I don't have many soldiers,
so until I do, I'm going for the defensive approach by building a Trebuchet
the size of the state of Rhode Island.  If you don't know what a Trebuchet is,
it's like a catapult except that there are usually pieces of wood lashed
together in a triangular form on either side to form the base.  The
counterweight is suspended between these.  The firing arm is tied down,
loaded, then the counterweight drops and the payload is rocketed a great
distance.  Since my giant trebuchet is immobile until lego makes some
elephants or something to pull it, it's mounted on a rotating circle.  I'm
trying to get it to be able to go up and down, too.

I just watched the Siege Weapons edition of the Nova "Secrets of Lost Empires"
miniseries on PBS. Basically, the hour-long show focused on the efforts of two
groups of people to build two slightly different trebuchets using medieval
methods, and knock down a typical rubble-filled masonry-shell wall.

It was _very_ inspiring.

I just finished building my own Lego trebuchet, using the mast from the Amazon
River Expedition set as the throwing arm. It swings freely through 350 degrees,
has a huge counterweight (equivalent to 64 1x1 blocks) instead of a basket, and
managed (once) to throw a 1x1 brick with a peg hole in it about 10-12 feet.

It is 10.3 bricks high without the mast, which has its axis of rotation a bit
more than halfway towards the counterweight side. It rolls on four of the thick
4x4 wheels--which I strongly recommend, since allowing it to move increases the
range by up to a half. Also, it's really cool to watch it roll backwards in
steps as the counterweight swings.

Actually, I'm not having a lot of luck with the sling part. I'd rather not cut
up a net to make a smaller sling, but it's looking like that's my best option
(folding the net does not work at all). Right now I've got a chain doubled over
with a rubber band (from Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins) which I wedge into the hole
of the 1x1. This isn't a great solution, cause it's really hard to make it
release at the right time.

Oh, by the way, for defensive purposes I recommend a ballista instead of a
trebuchet. Nothing quite like being able to spear an entire unit with a
sharpened tree trunk. ;)