 Castle / 2216
Re: Trebuchet (was: Sneak preview Estuary Stronghold)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 21:48:07 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Lance Scott writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jason Catena writes:
SNIP

Actually, I'm not having a lot of luck with the sling part. I'd rather not
cut up a net to make a smaller sling, but it's looking like that's my best
option (folding the net does not work at all). Right now I've got a chain
doubled over with a rubber band (from Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins) which I
wedge into the hole of the 1x1. This isn't a great solution, cause it's
really hard to make it release at the right time.

Personal recommendation, don't even try for the sling approach.  It will
require a stout crossbar to stop the throwing arm, but put one of the
catapult buckets at the end and make it a hybrid.  If you don't put in the
stop, the arm will just keep going and centrifugal force will make the
release very unpredictable.

Either that or go with a NLS (non-Lego solution) with a bit of string and
some cloth and make the sling yourself.

Hm. The trebuchets in the Nova special did not have crossbars, but in any event
I might be trying to do something a little too tricky for now. The catapult
bucket is a really good idea, and I did try to use the bucket-and-arm from the
Catapult Crusher set, but it turned out to be too awkward and heavy. I don't
have any of the buckets without arms, nor do I know which sets I could find
them in (except one or two really old castle sets). I tried Baylit, but the
piece was not listed as far as I could tell. :(

Happy Hurling!

Thanks! Do you have experience building these?