 Castle / 14858
Re: Formally Announcing: The Medieval Marketplace, A Common Castle Builders Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:26:31 GMT

In lugnet.castle, John P. Henderson writes:

Just to comment even more (while agreeing with Josh and Jeremy)...

One could presume that any market stalls with worn tan paths would be those
that are doing the most business with mini-figure patrons.  As long as the
builder provides a compatible transition from tan to green so they can match
up to their neighbors, then why not?  The key is to have this standard so
that one plate matches up to the next without any sudden change in terrain.

Understood. Just throwing it out as devil's advocate. :)

Joel also said,
Just a thought aimed towards inclusion vs unintentional exclusion. The Space
guys need gray plates for obvious reasons.. castle doesn't 'have' to have
green.

True, but if the terrain is supposedly mostly "natural" then the transitions
from one plate to another need to not be sudden; that is to say we don't
want any straight lines between colors unless there is a reason for it (like
a guy with a shovel who is making it that way or something).

Same as above but sometimes people can't avoid that. Just pointing it out as
it came to mind as it did with Chris.

Also, the Space guys do not need gray plates unless they restrict their
imaginations only to surfaces like the moon of Earth.  Other moons or
planets could have almost any color surface, including green.  They chose
gray as the color for the Moonbase project presumably because they wanted to
use the extra-large baseplates that come only in gray.

Cheers,
-Hendo

Oh, I agree. However the idea was a moon base and one of their requirements
were the 96x96 plates (or whatever they are!) for compatibility, most
useable space, and they did say no hodgepodge baseplates - if I'm
remembering what I read - too lazy to go back and peek at their guidelines
again. :)

Anyway as long as using brown or tan can be acceptable, I'm sure most people
participating will be able to blend it all in so it's moot. Just trying to
think of anyone that might wanna participate that may not have enough plates
to do so. ;)

JJ