 Castle / 1224
Re: New Model: The Devil's Gap
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:06:36 GMT

I love your Devil's Gap.
How did you make the machinery work? Please, share.

I put together a crude picture:

http://members.xoom.com/verneer/devilsgap/mechanism4.JPG

*NOTICE* - you will have to copy and paste it.  Just clicking on it won't work.
(I think ... )

What it uses is 3 pieces that the gate slides on (2x2x5 or 2x2x4... not really
sure), two 1x2 bricks with a hole in the middle, a steering wheel, and a rope.
When you tie the rope and rotate the wheel (big and bulky - just like I would
imagine they would be), the rope winds and the gate goes up.

To finish it off, you have a 1x2 brick that bends (geez - I need to get my lego
dictionary here), put on it a 1x2 plate with one stud, a 1x1 cylinder, and a
1x1x3 antena.  The cylinder actually keeps it all in place, while the antena is
used as leverage and the actual ... lever?

I hope that clears things up.

Also, a quest. Is Verneer supposed to be a good guy, a bad guy, or a middle
sort of guy?

I tried to make Verneer to be the most individual and opportunistic one of the
heros.  While Ian is the "good" person, he has also been put in a position to be
a "good" person.  Verneer didn't get all the outlaws mobilized by being pure
good.  But he has his own agenda and is fair - so I guess that would make him a
middle person for right now (as things will change, eh?)

Don't worry about crudness, it looks great and VERY realistic. (AFAIK. That's
just from what I'd think machinery like that would look like.)

Great Job! I'd love to see more!

-Shiri

Thanks!

-- pn