 Castle / 1225
Re: New Model: The Devil's Gap
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:07:29 GMT

AHHHHHH!  I am so impressed by your creation that I can't even stand it!  I
sincerely hope you post an extensive explanation as to how you did it.  I would
find such a thing highly interesting.

Rick Kurtzuba

Thanks Rick

I hope this will begin to answer your question (kinda long acutally - scroll to
the bottom if you want to see the sets that I think should inspire most castle
creators):

Working on my storyline, I knew that I wanted to make Verneer's Fortress next
(since it would be the easiest).  I wanted to use the baseplate from 4990 Rock
Raiders HQ for it since it fits the theme.  But I also noticed that the
baseplate is too small for what I need (a fortress to house about 40-50
WolfKnights).  So I decided to have a safety point, and then decided building.

The first thing I needed was a gate, so I build that.  I had some extra steering
wheels from the 6441s Deep Sea Refuge, so I wanted to use them.  I then decided
to not be lazy and go all the way and have them actually work.  This will no
doubt set a precedent for me in having actual working machinery in my upcoming
castles.

The sides were no brainers - just some walls.  I wanted for them to just be
elevated points of attack onto the courtyard.  If anyone has seen "The Rock"
with Shaun Connery and Nic Cage, you will know that anyone in an elevated
position has a major fighting advantage.  So that's what this was all about - a
four way pincer that would kill the enemy as it tried to attack, or trap them
and allow for Verneer to have the upper hand in negotiations.

After that I decided to add some red bricks (solely for the aesthetic appeal -
to liven up some of the gray.  Blue would have worked, but I just have too much
red).  The front gate also is sticking out because it looks better than if it
was flat (there IS a room there by the way - no picture of it, but it's there.)

I used wooden doors from the Ninja sets because they seem much more sturdy.
They seem like huge pieces of wood that would take a while to get past.  The
shields became the preferred choice over flags after some experimenting.  The
back tower has the 1x2 gray bricks with clips - and weapons.  I actually like
them if they are used as wall pieces to hold weapons.  Agreed that they are not
sturdy, but they have their purpose.

So pretty much I looked at what I had, what I wanted, and then just went with
the old trial and error routine.  No good pictures on the web for fortresses
that I could find.

And anytime I stuck, I always check out the following sets for inspiration (feel
free to add to this list what I left out):

All can be found in Cool Site of the week archives:

1)  Dan Jezek's Fort - the meticulous detail is amazing.
2)  Michael Ulring's Castle - this is what really inspires me.  That was the
inspiration for Strombrachter (just the size of it).
3)  Dan Jezek's Skull Kragg keep - no more pictures of it ... but for those of
you that had a chance to see it, you know how awesome it was.
4)  Ed Boxer's castle - in a league of it's own.

... and more recent:

4)  Eric Kingsley's market - some great stuff
5)  Eric Kingsley's churck - also very neat and detailed.

You won't find those two in the CSOTH just yet, just do a search for Eric's name
and you are bound to see that those are winner creations.

-- pn