 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 3041
Re: How would you do it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2011 21:03:59 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I think the ambient light color is the color of the surface, which in
this case is white already. I am confused about what diffuse does,

If I understand it correctly, 'ambient' is what you see if all lights are
off. I usually turn this down very low (zero). 'Diffuse' is reflected light
from
other surfaces, you'd want quite a lot of that.

with just a default surface I was getting a lot of reflections

Yes, I think the default 'reflection' value is too high in many cases.

Note: ultimately I would actually like my shadows to be slightly
fuzzy, not sharp edged, so I am guessing maybe I should be using an
area light placed a very long way away.

I'm still using the old POVRay 3.5 where the 'experimental radiosity' is
*very*
usable for getting life like renderings (at the cost of loooong rendering
times). I belive newer versions use other means to achieve the same thing
('media'?).

I'm still very proud of this render:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/anders-isak/IdeaBookInspiration/playtable002.jpg

The general settings for that render is:

#declare AMB = 0;
#declare DIF = 0.8;

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.2
  ambient_light 0
  max_trace_level 25
  adc_bailout 1/150

  radiosity {
    pretrace_start 0.08
    pretrace_end 0.01
    count 300
    error_bound 0.1
    recursion_limit 1
  }
}

and *no* light sources except for the sky sphere

sky_sphere {
  pigment {
    gradient -y //weird sky vector...
    color_map {
      [0.5 rgb 1.25]
      [1 rgb <.5,.7,1>*1.1]
    }
  }
}

(Just let me know if you want the full POV source for it)

And I guess to get the shadows to be light I should place some low
intensity shadowless
lights at other positions?

Straight above (but far off) would be a candidate for this. And as said
above, with 'radiosity' no lights at all are needed.

Anders Isaksson