 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2520
Re: Need help with errors and how to make renders look like this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:05:20 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, John O'Keefe wrote:
<snip>

Thank you for taking the time to reply on Christmas! I hope your Christmas
was a good one.

It's nothing.  I'm visiting my Dad (in San Diego) for the holiday.  And I did
have a good Christmas but I have to go home today so I'l post this reply before
embarking on my plane ride home (Hawaii).

That is funny you mention that you have the source code. I was going to ask
the author if he could add a per part angle tolerance. Different parts
require different angles to get the proper result. When you enter an angle
for the entire model you are trying to choose an angle that improves the
majority of the parts while not ruining parts that should not have their
angle smoothed. In reality you should not have to enter any angle at all. If
the program can tell what part# it is working with it should be able to look
up a table of part number to smoothing angle. That way someone will only
need to go through the LEGO parts database once, determine the appropriate
angle, and then people would be able to run it through the mesh enhancer
without supplying an angle. The program would know the appropriate angle for
each part. Then everyone would be able to achieve very realistic renders
geometry wise. Unfortunately I am not that great of a programmer but I would
be willing to try and determine an appropriate angle for each part. Are you
good at programming or know someone that might want to modify the mesh
enhancer for that functionality?

The reason why I asked for it is that I have a L3PAO style program in the works
(waiting for L3P 1.4 nudge,nudge Lars ;-) ) and I wanted to build in some post
L3P processing elements like the mesh enhancer functionality.

The FastRad POV includes -

The instructions were pretty easy to follow and I got it set up quickly.
The
one thing that confused me about FastRad was the lights setting. In the
instructions it says it is designed for one bright light. In the
instructions it has you comment out one of the three default lights. In
your
render (http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/billthefish/Renders/8652b.png)
it
looks like you have a couple lights. Did you leave the three default
lights,
use only one light, or have your own custom lights?

After further review of my file I noticed that I was mistaken and I'm not using
the setings above but the ones you noted earlier in the thread:

If you'll notice that the built in sky sphere has blue which is where the blue
tinge is coming from.

<snip>
I also noticed that in my render the fender parts and the center nose parts
are not showing the black line seperation between the parts. I thought the
LGEO parts or the mesh enhancer were causing it. I tried renders without
those items and I still get the missing seperation between he fender and
nose pieces. All my other part seperations look similar to yours so I am
baffled what is causing it. Do you have any idea?

L3P only shrinks parts it find in the LDRAW/PART directory and not custom or
unofficial part embedded in the MPD or otherwise.

Since it's not recommended that you add unofficial parts to the LDRAW/PARTS
directory, there 2 possible reasons why mine are shrunk:
- I manually added the part shrinking code to those parts that weren't shrunk by
L3P (most likely)
- I used a private beta of L3P 1.4 which may have corrected this problem (not
very likely)

<snip>

I plan on exploring other effects like camera effects (blurring far and
near) as well as fog effects but I want to get my lighting tweaked first. I
really hope I am able to figure out how to get my renders like yours. Thank
you for all your help so far!

No problem. I like this thread and my interest in HDRI has been sparked by
Koyan's reply.

-Orion