 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2518
Re: Need help with errors and how to make renders look like this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 16:58:34 GMT

Thank you for the information Koyan!

"Koyan" <koyan@gmx.net> wrote in message
Hi John,

Orion's already explained most of how I work as well: L3P the .mpd with
LGEO and mesh-enhance it. (I never just run the whole file through the
enhancer, just certain parts here and there.)

I never thought of doing that with the mesh enhancer. That is a good idea.
If you can group certain parts together as a sub model then you can run the
mesh enhancer through those parts only. That is a really good idea. I will
need to figure out how to recombine sub models into one large model when
they are in the POV format since that is the output of the mesh enhancer.

It would be cool if the mesh enhancer knew the perfect tolerance for each
individual part. That way you would not have to experiment with tolerances
and you would not have to do sub models.

Add in radiosity and the lugnet colors. (I'm using my own radiosity
settings and wrote an include file that manages all the colors found on
http://guide.lugnet.com/color/.)

Then add in an HDR image. This gives much better lighting and reflection
than a plain white skysphere.

Once I saw the HDRI render tests on your site I started reading up on HDRI
last night. I stayed up quite late trying to learn about it. :-)
It looks like you can get some really nice lighting effects using an HDR
image. I am assuming the HDR image supplies the lighting information instead
of you having to supply lights.

Then render. And wait, and wait, and wait... (I think the result looks
better than plain fastrad, but it sure takes a LOT longer to render.)

That is the tough part. It takes so long to see the fnal image and then if
you want to tweak the settings you have to wait a long time again. I think
the wait is worth it though once you have the right settings as the quality
of the image is much better. I am very impressed with the renders on your
site. They look really good. I am also impressed with some of the virtual
LEGO models you have undertaken! I saw your in progress images of the
Imperial Star Destroyer and am amazed. How much time do you have into
building that thing? I can't wait to see the finished model.

I've been working on and off on a tutorial on how to render LDraw files
with radiosity and HDRI for a whole while now, but real life keeps in
intruding... I promise I'll try to finish it and get it (and all my
include
files) online before the end of the year!

Thank you I would really appreciate that! I build LEGO creations for my son
and I would like to save them as virtual models so he can build them again
later. I want to create a nice render of each one. Your instructions will
help me and others out a lot.

BTW, I've done a quick test render of the Enzo. You can find it at
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Koyan/Temp/Misc/8652.png

Thank you for the render. Your render has probably the best looking glass
out of mine, Orion's, and your render. Mine and Orion's seem to have slight
artifacts in the right side of the glass. Your glass is crystal clear. I
remember reading in the FastRad instructions about possible artifacts so
FastRad may be the cause of it. It looks like your quick render has the same
problem as mine in that the center nose and the fender parts don't have a
visible seam compared with Orion's render. In your render you can just
barely make out a seem through the lighting. I need to explore further and
see what is causing the problem.

I am getting a little better at my rendering. Here is a shot of an alternate
model from the new robot XPod set 4416. I included my MLCAD model and my POV
file:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/JoJa15/Renders/4416_2.png
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/JoJa15/Renders/4416_2.ldr
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/JoJa15/Renders/4416_2e.pov

I am pretty happy with the render. I am sure it would look better with HDRI.

Thank you for all your help. I look forward to your tutorial.

- John