 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2511

Subject:
Need help with errors and how to make renders look like this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sat, 24 Dec 2005 03:30:42 GMT

I need some help making better LEGO renderings and getting around some
errors that I am encountering. Here is an example of my render on the left
and someone else's cool render on the right:

As you can see I have a lot to improve in my renders. My color, floor, and
lighting looks fake. The other persons looks realistic and natural. My LEGO
parts are faceted and flat, the other persons look smooth and glossy. My
transparent parts look fake, the other persons look realistic.

To create this render I first downloaded the dat file for the Ferrari set
here:

http://www.pobursky.com/files/8652.mpd

I am using the tools that come with the "LDRAW all in one installer" found
here:

http://www.ldraw.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=104

I launch L3PAO and use the following settings:

I then select "Run L3P". That launches a command line window and then it
launches POV-Ray for Windows. POV-Ray displays an error in the error window
which can be seen here:

I select "Run L3P" again and now get an error message dialogue box titled
"Commandline processing error" with a message in the dialogue saying "Only
/EDIT and /RENDER may be passed to previous instance". The only option is to
press the "OK" button for the message box.

I assumed the "unknown switch A error" was due to anti-aliasing so I turned
that option off in the L3PAO dialogue. I then closed down POV-Ray to get
around the "Only /EDIT and /RENDER may be passed to previous instance"
error. I clock "Run L3P" again and now it renders the image seen at the top
of this message.

Here is where I need help:

(1) Why do I get the first error in POV-Ray with the "Unknown switch A"? Is
it due to the anit-aliasing setting in L3PAO? If it is due to that is there
a way to have that option set but not have POV-Ray error out?
(2) Why do I get the second error "Only /EDIT and /RENDER may be passed to
another render?
(3) Lastly and most important how can I get my renders to look like the
Ferrari on the right in the first image at the top of this posting?

Hopefully the listing of the steps I take above is detailed enough. If they
are not please let me know what information I need to provide.

Thank you in advance for any help provided!

Best Regards,
John

Re: Need help with errors and how to make renders look like this?
I have corrected my links so that now people should see the images
regardless if they have been moderated yet or not.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/JoJa15/Renders/8652.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/JoJa15/Renders/l3pao_settings.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/JoJa15/Renders/pov-ray_error1.png

[...]

Hi John,

That render your using is mine and I'm 'billthefish' (at least outside of the UK
Football scene).  It was produced using a number of different tools:
L3P
Mesh-Enhancer - http://members.aol.com/elferwette/LDraw/
The FastRad POV includes - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=94173
The LUGNET color definitions include - http://www.pobursky.com/article/4

Basically the steps are:
- Generate a POV file with L3P (make sure LGEO option is selected)
- Run the POV file through Mesh-Enhancer.  I had to experiment to find a good
crea angle that smoothed the edge that needed smoothing but left sharp edges
where they were supposed to be.
- Add in the includes for FasrRad and LUGNET Colors
- Render and wait.

If you have any question please don't hesitate to ask.

-Orion

Re: Need help with errors and how to make renders look like this?