 CAD / Development / 10245
Re: txt2dat - Create LDraw files from text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 12:49:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
No, I figured it out.  XP seems to come with a special Hidden System
desktop.ini file in the font directory with this in it.

  [.ShellClassInfo]
  UICLSID={BD84B380-8CA2-1069-AB1D-08000948F534}

It makes the standard Windows open file dialog behave in a way that
makes selecting the font filename difficult.  Instead of filenames
(*.ttf) you get the font names in the file open dialog and cannot
select them for opening.  But you *can* double click on them
and let windows show you it's font preview window.  Any program using
the standard windows file open dialog is going to run afoul of
this annoying behavior.

If you make a program that accepts drag and drop, you can drag the font
file onto the program, and it will get the full path.  I don't know
what's up with Anders' system either.  Mine behaves just like yours.

Maybe it's a language thing.  I've seen hints that some of the desktop.ini
bits behave differently when you're set up for a different language.
Or perhaps the OEMs package Windows differently for other countries and
skip the desktop.ini file in the font directory.

I don't think the drag and drop workaround is any less confusing than
going to the properties sheet to grab the name.  I just can't believe
that MS would design this hack so that it breaks the normal operation
of their file open dialog.  Well, actually, I'm really not surprised...

Have Fun,

Don