 CAD / Development / 10231
Re: txt2dat - Create LDraw files from text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:58:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:

Yeah, I was gonna suggest you convert the "font" from the ldraw
lettered tiles into a cheesy builtin internal font, which would be
used by default.  Then add a -f before the font if you can find a
better one somewhere.  That way you could make something without
searching around for fonts.

All we need to generate the cheesy LEGO font file is an output-truetype
module for autotrace,

That's not too hard to find.

  http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen/mftrace/

Looks like a wrapper for autotrace and some other stuff.

and a ready supply of lettered tiles ;)

Yeah, you got me there.  I think I've got a couple a numbers from
the harry potter house sets, and that's about it.

Yer more likely to get the whole alphabet by assmembling it in MLCad
from the ldraw tiles.  Then you can always dump a large bitmap to feed
to mftrace.  Just pretend you scanned in the real tiles...

Actually, looking at the brick 1x1s with letters in LDraw, it should be possible
to generate glyphs straight from the DAT files. Then it's just a matter of
packaging them up nicely in a font file, saves having to convert it to a bitmap
& back.

Notice I said "possible" not "easy"...

ROSCO