 CAD / 17070

Re: The future of LDraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 22:35:07 GMT

For whatever reason, I've never made the shift to MLCad or other platforms, and
I've been served very well James Jessiman's foundation programs.  Lars Hassing's
L3Lab and Kevin Klague's LPub have been invaluable as well, but everything I do
that's Lego CAD-related (apocryphal or otherwise) starts in LEdit.

Anyone who knows me knows that my particular brand-loyalty makes me a bit of an
outsider in this community, and that's fair.  However, speaking as an outsider,
I can say that one thing that has really soured me on LDraw in recent years is
the seemingly obsessive lawyer-ization of it, to the point that it's become less
of an exercise in Lego design and more a monument to hyper-legalism and
over-compartmentalized classification.

I don't have a specific example ready at hand, but I believe that a basic 2x4
brick might conceivably have 18 lines of actual code and 36 lines of why's and
wherefore's and provisos.  However necessary this can be argued to be, I find it
distasteful, and a sharp diversion from what I have always perceived to be the
project's original value.  This, coupled with a years-long drought of new LDraw
parts, has made it seem as though the primary goal was to create a system of
attribution which, by the way, could also be used to build virtual Lego models.

I think that I only interacted with James on one occasion (on RTL); others here
knew him much better and were in on the ground floor of LEdit long before I
showed up at the party in late 1997, so I don't presume to understand his vision
better than anyone else.

I'm also not flaming anybody, nor am I claiming special insight as to what would
work "better" than the current scheme.  However, if we're asking why people have
drifted from the LDraw portion of the hobby, then it seems to me that part of
the answer must address the rigidity that's taken hold in the past few years,
and we must ask if it was worthwhile, even if we accept that it was necessary.

My $0.02.

Dave!

Re: The future of LDraw?
For whatever reason, I've never made the shift to MLCad or other platforms, and
I've been served very well James Jessiman's foundation programs.  Lars Hassing's
L3Lab and Kevin Klague's LPub have been invaluable as well, but everything I do
that's Lego CAD-related (apocryphal or otherwise) starts in LEdit.
LEdit's pretty much outdated these days. It doesn't support the LDConfig
colours, nor can it edit MPD:s and the LSC is not taking it too seriously when
making choices. (at least I'm not..)

[...]

I agree here partially. I too think that some bits here are bit too formal...
but I tend to think that !HISTORY lines are pretty much useful to keep track on
what's happened and when.. but something that I can't possibly understand is
that if a part author completely remakes a part and gets it to the tracker, the
rewrite must be a !HISTORY line and the author cannot get the Author line!
Really de-motivating...

I think that I only interacted with James on one occasion (on RTL); others here
knew him much better and were in on the ground floor of LEdit long before I
showed up at the party in late 1997, so I don't presume to understand his vision
better than anyone else.

I'm also not flaming anybody, nor am I claiming special insight as to what would
work "better" than the current scheme.  However, if we're asking why people have
drifted from the LDraw portion of the hobby, then it seems to me that part of
the answer must address the rigidity that's taken hold in the past few years,
and we must ask if it was worthwhile, even if we accept that it was necessary.

My $0.02.

Dave!

-Santeri

Re: The future of LDraw?
For whatever reason, I've never made the shift to MLCad or other platforms, and
I've been served very well James Jessiman's foundation programs.  Lars Hassing's
L3Lab and Kevin Klague's LPub have been invaluable as well, but everything I do
that's Lego CAD-related (apocryphal or otherwise) starts in LEdit.
LEdit's pretty much outdated these days. It doesn't support the LDConfig
colours, nor can it edit MPD:s and the LSC is not taking it too seriously when
making choices. (at least I'm not..)

That's 100% fair, and I wouldn't expect them to base any policy decisions on a
platform that hasn't changed in 13+ years.  The number of people who still use
it as their primary interface can probably be counted on one hand.

The main reason that I stick with it is that I'm comfortable using it, and I can
do in it pretty much everything I need to do, LDraw-wise.  I've tried MLCad, but
it just hasn't captured me.

I agree here partially. I too think that some bits here are bit too formal...
but I tend to think that !HISTORY lines are pretty much useful to keep track on
what's happened and when..

I don't know.  At the user end of it, I don't see how this information is of any
value at all 99% of the time, except maybe as trivia.  And even when it *is*
useful, it has the potential to become bogged down.

I recall a time not so long ago when people campaigned passionately for the most
parsimonious part-designs, on the basis that it makes the processing faster.
Since that time, the basic, default format for even the most basic bricks in the
inventory has expanded hugely, in some cases with little or no visible
improvement to part-utility.

Dave!

Re: The future of LDraw?
I don't know.  At the user end of it, I don't see how this information is of any
value at all 99% of the time, except maybe as trivia.  And even when it *is*
useful, it has the potential to become bogged down.

I recall a time not so long ago when people campaigned passionately for the most
parsimonious part-designs, on the basis that it makes the processing faster.
Since that time, the basic, default format for even the most basic bricks in the
inventory has expanded hugely, in some cases with little or no visible
improvement to part-utility.

Dave!

Please excuse ne while I become really blunt ;)

That information isn't there for the end users. It's there for the people
volunteering their time to make the parts. As Philo said it's very easy to add
automatically with DATHeader and thus next to no effort for the parts editors
but it is a good source of credit for those that have donated their time.

Likewise the legal issues may seem superfluous but with the new license the
parts library is finally legally able to be used and distributed in a more
verstile way. That's a good thing.

The trick for the parts library is finding a balance between parts that are
perfect for the user (including being consistent) and parts that are easy to
develop. _Possibly_ there is too much focus on the former but it's got little to
do with the mostly non-issues you raise.

Tim

Re: The future of LDraw?
That information isn't there for the end users. It's there for the people
volunteering their time to make the parts. As Philo said it's very easy to add
automatically with DATHeader and thus next to no effort for the parts editors
but it is a good source of credit for those that have donated their time.

Likewise the legal issues may seem superfluous but with the new license the
parts library is finally legally able to be used and distributed in a more
verstile way. That's a good thing.

The trick for the parts library is finding a balance between parts that are
perfect for the user (including being consistent) and parts that are easy to
develop. _Possibly_ there is too much focus on the former but it's got little to
do with the mostly non-issues you raise.

Non-issues to you, perhaps.  To an outsider, they are symptomatic of a big
exercise in narcissism.

Decades ago, when I was without a tv but hoping to see the "Spock" episode of
ST:TNG, a friend and I went to Penn State's Star Trek club.  They had a meeting
starting one hour before the episode was to air, and we opted to attend the
meeting so that we wouldn't just seem like parasites showing up simply to mooch
their tv.

Well, that one-hour meeting was spent arguing about whether or not the
Enterprise-D on the group's letterhead should be facing to the left or to the
right.  After two minutes it was comically preposterous.  After forty-five
minutes it was unbearable.

I'm sure that the reasons for the letterhead argument were many and subtle and
well-justified.  But to someone watching from the outside, it made the group a
geeky caricature, even to the geek who didn't have his own tv!

I'm not diminishing the efforts of the parts authors, nor am I writing this out
of thin air; I've personally authored well over 1,000 parts that will never be
included in the LDraw library.  That is, I *know* how difficult the authoring
process can be.

I've spoken with at least three other people who find the hyper-legalistic
process equally off-putting, and I'm confident that we're not the only four who
think so.  Part of the question in the OP was about why people have drifted
away, and I've given an answer.

You may dismiss it as a non-issue if you wish.

Re: The future of LDraw?
[...]

Possibly so but I'm of the opinion that those that make and share the parts are
entitled to some narcissism. And I speak having done minimal part authoring in
quite some time (due to laziness) so it's not self-interest at work.

--snip--

Your analogy isn't really a fair one IMO as the ST club is not actually creating
anything for others to use. I see your point but I'm not sure it entirely
applies here.

I'm not diminishing the efforts of the parts authors, nor am I writing this out
of thin air; I've personally authored well over 1,000 parts that will never be
included in the LDraw library.  That is, I *know* how difficult the authoring
process can be.

But how much of that difficulty stems from making the part and how much comes
from filling in a few lines in the header? I've authored a bunch of parts myself
(both easy and hard) and I've simply never had trouble (well OK I have but Chris
has fixed them on the Part Tracker).

I've spoken with at least three other people who find the hyper-legalistic
process equally off-putting, and I'm confident that we're not the only four who
think so.  Part of the question in the OP was about why people have drifted
away, and I've given an answer.

You may dismiss it as a non-issue if you wish.

I shall continue to do so I'm afraid until I understand why it's an issue. As I
said above I just don't understand why a few lines in a header make such a big
difference. And I'm honestly not being obtuse here either. I'm ready to change
my opinion if I understand and agree with what you're saying. I feel I must be
missing something.

Tim

Re: The future of LDraw?