 CAD / 14851
Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2007 23:59:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
I should have an update out later today or tomorrow that combines pixels
vertically as well.

Keep in mind that doing it both ways is probably a lot more difficult than just
doing it one way.  For example, if you have a 1-pixel thick plus sign, you need
at least 3 quads (to avoid overlap), and your algorithm needs to deal nicely
with this.  Then too, a 2x2 pixel square would be nice as a single quad, but
doing this generically is likely to be a lot of work.

--Travis

If you can work out regions of identical colour I believe there is a theory that
says you can fill it with no more than 2N (where N is the number of corners)
triangles. This is probably a good way of doing it for complex shapes.

If I ever get a chance to update my sticker creator I intend to use this
algorithm (I believe Ross uses it for txt2dat) as well as better smooth edge
finding.

Wow, I can't believe I only just found this thread!

txt2dat uses Jonathan Richard Shewchuk's Triangle library to triangulate
polygons generated by Truetype fonts. All you need to do is supply a list of
verteces, and it will generate the triangles to fill it. It's written in C, is
very fast, and can handle all weird types of polygons, including ones with
"holes" in them. And best of all it's free. Get it here:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/%7Equake/triangle.html

And there's lots of great information there about the theory and how it works
too.

ROSCO