 CAD / 14654
    Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Scott Wardlaw
   I would like to share my sticker generating tool, that I created to convert bitmap images into flat part files (stickers / decals) for use in ldraw based CAD programs and rendering programs. Here is an example of what it can do: (URL) Here is a (...) (17 years ago, 23-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.announce) !

        Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Jim DeVona
     (...) Very cool! May I add a link to this from my (URL) page? I suspect the desktop program does not have the size/speed restrictions that limit my script. Jim (17 years ago, 23-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

         Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Scott Wardlaw
      (...) Jim, I searched and searched for a program that would do this and never found one. I was surprised that there wasn't something, but it looks like I was wrong. You can absolutely put a link from you page to my download page. I'll have to (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

          Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Jim DeVona
       (...) Don't feel bad - the same thing happened to me when I wrote my script (except I didn't really think to search much first). Shortly after releasing it, I discovered an (URL) even earlier effort> on Lugnet. I think each implementation has its (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

          Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Willy Tschager
      (...) you can add download links by yourself. just login, go to the download section, click on the [Add Download] link and fill in. don't worry if it doesn't show up immediately - I have to authorize it. w. Ldraw Content Manager (17 years ago, 24-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Dave Schuler
     (...) Both of these applications are very cool, and I intend to begin using them immediately. Do you guys mind if I ask a dumb question? That is, another dumb question after these two? Are these applications an evolution of the various BMP2DAT (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

         Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Jim DeVona
     (...) So, I know of at least four tools to convert images to LDraw stickers: (URL) BMP2DAT> (URL) img2sticker> ((URL) *>) (URL) Bitsticker> (URL) Sticker Generator> Plus you can make stickers from text with (URL) txt2dat>. I think this is a case of (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Michael Heidemann
   I have just tested your prog. It seems to me that you put for every pixel one quad. This produces an enormous amount of bytes in a file. There was already a prog that was called bmp2dat. If you could rearrange the quads that are direct beside into (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Jim DeVona
     &tIn lugnet.cad, Michael Heidemann wrote: It seems to me that you put for every pixel one quad. This produces an (...) This is the approach also used by Bitsticker. It is certainly not optimal. (...) Tim Gould's (URL) img2sticker> script uses a (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Scott Wardlaw
   (...) Almost...I combine pixels of the same color that are on the same horizontal line. So, if pixels 1 through 5 are the same color, they become a line that ocupies 1 through 5. Most of my stickers have been about 1MB. I wasn't aware of the other (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Kevin L. Clague
   (...) Hi Scott, It will be better if you put adjacent horizontal pixels into a long quad rather than a line. The renderer POV-Ray does not support the concept of lines, so they are tossed when L3P converts you LDraw file to a POV file. Kevin (17 years ago, 24-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Scott Wardlaw
   (...) Sorry, long quads is really what I meant by a line. So, that's exactly what the program does. I should have an update out later today or tomorrow that combines pixels vertically as well. Thanks, Scott (17 years ago, 24-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Travis Cobbs
   (...) Keep in mind that doing it both ways is probably a lot more difficult than just doing it one way. For example, if you have a 1-pixel thick plus sign, you need at least 3 quads (to avoid overlap), and your algorithm needs to deal nicely with (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Timothy Gould
   (...) If you can work out regions of identical colour I believe there is a theory that says you can fill it with no more than 2N (where N is the number of corners) triangles. This is probably a good way of doing it for complex shapes. If I ever get (...) (17 years ago, 25-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Scott Wardlaw
     Sorry that it has taken me so long. In fact, I am still working on creating quadrilaterals and triangles to fill the largest spaces possible. My main hang-ups are: reducing processing time a working point-in-polygon test I have found two different (...) (17 years ago, 26-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Travis Cobbs
     (...) There is C code for a point in polygon implementation here: (URL) only 8 lines of code for the whole thing, but it supports arbitrary polygons, including ones with holes. UNDERSTANDING the algorithm might take a little work, but the page (...) (17 years ago, 26-Jul-07, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Sticker Generator for LDRAW / MLCAD —Ross Crawford
   (...) Wow, I can't believe I only just found this thread! txt2dat uses Jonathan Richard Shewchuk's Triangle library to triangulate polygons generated by Truetype fonts. All you need to do is supply a list of verteces, and it will generate the (...) (17 years ago, 6-Oct-07, to lugnet.cad)