 CAD / 13942
Re: Tutorial on reviewing parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:42:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Andrew Westrate wrote:
   IMO, the most useful thing for a new reviewer to understand are that there are three main things to be looking for when reviewing a part

1) Is this LDraw part a good representation of the real LEGO part? (is it the right size, shape, etc.)

2) Does it conform to similar parts in the library? (does it have the right origin & orientation, does it make good use of primitives, is it named well)

Good points, I think I’ll try to separate these in into a separate section early in the tutorial.

   3) Does it have any technical issues that will cause problems for renders? (stuff like BFC, bowtie quads, non-coplanar quads)

These are covered under the “What should I look for when I review a part?” item on the Reviewer FAQ http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/reviewfaq/, but it is worth emphasizing.

This tutorial was more or less meant to be an example on how you can review a part (basically the way I do it, since that’s what I know). I try to include pieces of information when nessecary (that may be scattered in confusing compilations around Ldraw or Lugnet).

   The second most important thing to understand is that there is a list of things that are NOT acceptable for a hold vote under any circumstances.

Well, I don’t recall encouraging to place “illegal” hold votes in the tutorial - yes, I write about BFC’ing and studlogos, but only as “best practice” and associated with novotes...

  • File not BFC’ed (which is *optional*, not mandatory)
  • problems with the title (PT admins can easily fix this, just “novote” it with a comment)
  • problems with part number (again, admins can fix)
  • KEYWORDS or CATEGORIES you don’t like (again, admins can fix)
  • using overlapping ring primitives of the same color (this is an accepted practice)
  • the orientation of stud logos (if you feel strongly about it, feel free to submit a comment via a “novote”, but this is NOT an acceptable hold issue)
  • items on this page: http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/l3pmsg/ which call for a “warn” (i.e. novote comment) instead of a “hold”
  • problems visible in POV-Ray that are not visible in LDraw tools. (while rendering well in POV-Ray is nice, L3P isn’t perfect, and sometimes there are gaps. If the problem doesn’t show in LDView, MLCad, etc, this is not an acceptable reason to hold)

It would be really nice to have these issues+responses compiled in a single document on Ldraw: Something I could link to without drowning the simple baking recipe-style tutrial I’ve tried to make (like as: “...just start doing this, and you’ll pick up the rest as you go along”)

   The third thing I wish reviewers would keep in mind is that we don’t need to be prefectionists. You may see a missing edge line when zoomed in 1000 times, but which would never be visible when viewed at normal size, or when part of a 500 piece model. Is it really necessary to hold for that, especially when the file was first uploaded in 2002, and has been ignored by reviewers ever since? I feel that there are a lot of frivolous holds on acceptable parts in the Tracker.

Although a bit of a perfectionist, I’m not disagreeing with you on this, but I don’t wish to represent either view in the tuturial ... “pick it up as you go along” ;-)

   Anyway Niels, as far as the actual text you wrote, the only problem I have with it (besides POV-Ray & stud logos), is that a lot of stuff you wrote regarding bowties, non-coplanar quads, & fixing BFC really apply to authors, not to reviewers.

With a lot of parts, you’ll find that you have to do it yourself anyways because of inactive authors. But I’m basically including it because the new reviewers need to understand what they’re looking for, and because the explanation of those words (scattered over several Ldraw pages) are really fuzzy:
I read those back in the days, but still had to have the concepts explained to me in the PT before I figured out what it was.
Now I’ve made that graphical representation I really needed when I started parts authoring and generally roaming the PT.

It would be really nice to have this included in a parts authoring tutorial also (or instead): but this is not the one, and until it’s here... well, I’m just spreading a bit beyond the subject to patch up shortcomings elsewhere

   All the reviewers really need to know regarding l3p errors is to compare errors found to this page: http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/l3pmsg/ and hold/warn accordingly. The explanations you give would be good to have in a separate article such as “What do those L3P -check errors really mean?”

I’ve already added link to that page

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, I think the tutorial will greatly benefit from the general/overview comments you made.

Cheers NB