 CAD / 13922
Subject:
Tutorial on reviewing parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:17:43 GMT

So, I made this tutorial about being a reviewer and review parts in the Parts Tracker:

http://www.l3go.bugge.com/articles/Reviewing-parts-tutorial.shtml

Eventually it’ll end up in the article section of Ldraw, but right now I’d just like to hear some feedback/suggestions from the general community, especially concerning illustrations.

It’s basically a major upgrade of this thread: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=11914 (wow that was a long time ago!). It is supposed to be a basic introduction about reviewing, so more advanced stuff about the correct use of submodels, patterned parts, primitives etc. - and how to review these is not included: the tutorial is already long enough, and I don’t know enough about these aspects.

I hope somebody else will be inspired to make a tutorial that takes reviewing the next step from mine (I’d like to read it!). And of course - that a lot of people will decide to become reviewers or parts authors - it’s really not that difficult and with the ever increasing complexity and number of new parts, we need you to participate!

Cheers NB

Re: Tutorial on reviewing parts
So, I made this tutorial about being a reviewer and review parts in the Parts
Tracker:

<http://www.l3go.bugge.com/articles/Reviewing-parts-tutorial.shtml>

{Eventually it’ll end up in the article section of Ldraw, but right now I’d just
like to hear some feedback/suggestions from the general community, especially
concerning illustrations.}

A couple of other points that may be worth mentioning:
1) LDView can do BFC checking now (I use this all the time)
2) LDDP has a "fix error" option for most errors L3P can find, including
bowtie quads.

Other than that it looks good.

Thank you

--
Dean Earley, Dee (dean@earlsoft.co.uk)

irc:    irc://irc.blitzed.org/
web:    http://personal.earlsoft.co.uk
phone:  +44 (0)780 8369596

Re: Tutorial on reviewing parts
A couple of other points that may be worth mentioning:
1) LDView can do BFC checking now (I use this all the time)

You can still only look at the files in ldview right? (it doesn't have any extra
features compared to lab?)

2) LDDP has a "fix error" option for most errors L3P can find, including
bowtie quads.

Cool, thanks! I'll add a note about that (and use it heavily :D )

Cheers NB

Re: Tutorial on reviewing parts
A couple of other points that may be worth mentioning:
1) LDView can do BFC checking now (I use this all the time)

You can still only look at the files in ldview right? (it doesn't have any extra
features compared to lab?)

Yeah, its just a viewer, but looks a lot nicer.
I never got on with L3Lab, not entirely sure why.

2) LDDP has a "fix error" option for most errors L3P can find, including
bowtie quads.

Cool, thanks! I'll add a note about that (and use it heavily :D )

IIRC, it can fix all but the non coplanar quads.

--
Dean Earley, Dee (dean@earlsoft.co.uk)

irc:    irc://irc.blitzed.org/
web:    http://personal.earlsoft.co.uk
phone:  +44 (0)780 8369596

Re: Tutorial on reviewing parts
So, I made this tutorial about being a reviewer and review parts in the Parts
Tracker:

<http://www.l3go.bugge.com/articles/Reviewing-parts-tutorial.shtml>

{Eventually it’ll end up in the article section of Ldraw, but right now I’d just
like to hear some feedback/suggestions from the general community, especially
concerning illustrations.}

A couple of other points that may be worth mentioning:
1) LDView can do BFC checking now (I use this all the time)

it will not work on all graphic cards corretly. at least it doesn't on my ATI
Radeon 9000. trinagles with a wrong winding will always show up in correct
green.