 CAD / 11914
Re: I want to become a reviewer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 12:34:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi Niels I think it’s really, really great that you whish to join the core. (hey guys, give him a hero’s welcome!)

I myself haven’t been a reviewer for very long (or haven’t authored many parts yet for that sake) and isn’t particularly experienced, but I don’t see this as a hindrance to giving advice, as this only means that I have a lot of rookie experiences in fresh memory.

First of all relax! Reviewing is nothing different than the error checking you usually do before submitting a part; it’s all about getting enough eyes on the part to find all errors. The only trouble is you have to have somebody else (the author) fix the errors you find. You could consider refraining from casting hold votes (and certification votes) at first, to avoid making errors and upsetting people until you get more experience: I personally haven’t cast any hold votes yet (except on one of my own parts), but have to begin casting certification votes quickly (see why below), but remember: Two other reviewers has to cast one too before the file gets released, so you can’t screw up badly (and your vote gets deleted if the file is uploaded again because somebody else has detected an error, and lastly the admins need to accept it as well, and then it’s their responsibility!)

I usually run four checks on the file: The first one is running the file through in mlcad with “draw to selection only” turned on (the button next to the gridbuttons) to get a sense of what objects the file is made up of; it’s here I find missing things (like edges), extra things that need to be deleted (usually objects made obsolete by more advanced primitives) and highlighting (changing the colour of) things that need to be changed via other programs like: L3lab where I look for BFC-errors (turning “mytest6” on in the testmenu), and LDDP where I fix the windings and run l3p-check to find bad vertices (you have to turn non coplanar detection on manually in the tools/options/configuration values-menu – I can’t figure out why it isn’t turned on by default..). Finally I render the part in Pov-ray (via L3DAO) to check the part for gaps (where planes don’t meet creating a black line) and if the studlogos is turning the right way.

Note to parts authors: Parts without a logical sequence of objects (like an onion with inner parts first and outer ones last so nothing gets in the way of other) is a pain in the .. as they’re impossible to figure out, and DON’T group all the lines in one section of the part making a mess of lines, but keep them together with the planes they frame; then it’s possible to see what belongs to each other and thereby what’s extra or missing. Cf. x250 which is very nice although it could do with some rect-substitution ;-)

That was something about checklists and tools, but I’ve also got some experiences from the PT about some important do’s and don’t’s I’d like to share:

#1 Don’t touch! It’s the authors part and if you put your dirty hands on it, it creates an extra 0 line with your name on it and blocks your ability to certify it, meaning that with one out, 4 reviewers have to look at it before it can be released, and that can mean a lot of extra time in the PT (there’s too few reviewers already). And the author gets pissed, so don’t touch unless it’s absolutely nessecary.

#2 Always follow up: Except for a reviewer hijacking your part, there’s nothing worse for an author that a reviewer that just leaves a comment about an error, but doesn’t return to certify (or pointing at other errors) when you upload a new fixed version of the file: He has used a lot of time making it, and now it’s even better, but nowhere closer to actually getting released: It’s very bad for the morale of the author (why should he react to reviews or even make new parts?), and the part sinks down to the dusty graveyard of neglected parts. I’m sure that it isn’t out of bad will that the reviewers don’t return, but only because they respond to too many parts, so it’s crucial to:

#3 Limit your activity to a few parts: So you can follow up on them, here the automatic notices from the PT a really important tool, where the message of a new upload only appears once, and should therefore prompt another visit and update of your vote: If you don’t, the part goes to the graveyard, because you forget the information you achieved about the part and have to “re-learn” it if you return at a much later date. An example of this is a (granted: difficult) part 6253s-01.dat I’ve witnessed: 8 reviewers has been in over the part, each using time on reviewing the part (some more than once), I’ve used a day or two to fix it (sbliss has worked on it too), but as everybody has forgotten it and failed to return, most of the reviewers work is wasted as three (new) reviewers has to come in and “re-learn” the part in order to be able to certify it: It could be certified by now or even released with all those reviewers involved.

To sum it up, my opinion is that the ideal way for authors and reviewers to cooperate is to work the part as a fast ping-pong between them and follow the part all the way to the door while it’s in fresh memory of both. If one of them leaves the game, a lot of knowledge and work is lost, and the longer the part stays on the cemetery, the bigger the risk is that the author looses interest and abandon the part or authoring altogether.

Furthermore have a suggestion that groups of reviewers team up to work with a part, as a kind of “fast track” reviewing to keep the author “warmed up”. Is there 3-4 volunteers that want to try it out? And by the way; how many reviewers are there actually?

Cheers
The other Niels