 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3961

Subject:
Griswold Building - Detroit, Michigan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2007 06:03:04 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I have completed another building to include in the MichLTC portion of the ILTCO layout planned for the NMRA 2007 National Train Show to be held in Detroit on July 28 - 30th.

This MOC is a model of the Griswold Building, a midrise structure designed by architect Albert Kahn in 1929. It primarily uses old brown and old light gray for the facade.

Links:

Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=258575

MOCpages: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/31870

For those of you who are planning on participating or showing up for the NMRA NTS, I look forward to seeing you there.

-Jim

Re: Griswold Building - Detroit, Michigan
In lugnet.announce.moc, James Garrett wrote:
   I have completed another building to include in the MichLTC portion of the ILTCO layout planned for the NMRA 2007 National Train Show to be held in Detroit on July 28 - 30th.

This MOC is a model of the Griswold Building, a midrise structure designed by architect Albert Kahn in 1929. It primarily uses old brown and old light gray for the facade.

WOW! The building itself is a great MOC, but what surprised me even more was the quality of your photo work... the thumbnail on the LUGNET front page made me think it was a picture of the real building. VERY nice!

Jan-Albert van Ree

In lugnet.town, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
   WOW! The building itself is a great MOC, but what surprised me even more was the quality of your photo work... the thumbnail on the LUGNET front page made me think it was a picture of the real building. VERY nice!

Jan-Albert van Ree

Thanks for your comments. Besides trying to emulate the proportions of real buildings with my MOCs, I try to photograph them in natural light from typical street level vantage points in an attempt to add realism. One unfortunate problem is that I have a small backyard with trees on every side so it is difficult to exclude “giant” trees from the picture (Photoshopping them out is too much work). -Jim

Re: Griswold Building - Detroit, Michigan
In lugnet.announce.moc, James Garrett wrote:
   I have completed another building to include in the MichLTC portion of the ILTCO layout planned for the NMRA 2007 National Train Show to be held in Detroit on July 28 - 30th.

Yeah yeah yeah. Whatever. I think I speak for everyone when I ask: But can you build anything smaller? Besides the car, that is (which, to be fair, is actually building bigger as far as our club goes).

Anyways, does this mean it wasn’t fully completed when you brought it to the last meeting, or did you just need time to produce/post photos?

Re: Griswold Building - Detroit, Michigan
   In lugnet.announce.moc, James Garrett wrote:
   I have completed another building to include in the MichLTC portion of the ILTCO layout planned for the NMRA 2007 National Train Show to be held in Detroit on July 28 - 30th.

Yeah yeah yeah. Whatever. I think I speak for everyone when I ask: But can you build anything smaller? Besides the car, that is (which, to be fair, is actually building bigger as far as our club goes).

Anyways, does this mean it wasn’t fully completed when you brought it to the last meeting, or did you just need time to produce/post photos?

Dave: Was that first one a rhetorical question? If not, do you not remember my Brush Park victorian and my 8x8 stud vignette: Harry Potter and the run-away mine car?

The building was 99% complete when I brought it to the last MichLUG meeting. I was awaiting one last bricklink order of 1x1 old light gray plates and 2x4 brown plates that I needed to complete the detailing at the roofline. The building was completed on June 7th. -Jim

Re: Griswold Building - Detroit, Michigan
   Was that first one a rhetorical question?

Mostly good-natured ribbing. I mean, consider the fact that while you may not be able to claim having the tallest building in a town display (I have no idea who might hold that record at present), you’ve quite possibly got a claim on having the one with the most total volume. The only other buildings I’ve ever seen that even compare to the Fisher in that sense are large hangers (one in particular had the UCS ISD parked inside). Building small just doesn’t come to mind when thinking of you.

   If not, do you not remember my Brush Park victorian

Er, uh, no, actually. I remember the art museum, which is actually considerably smaller than the Griswold. Remember, I’m not a town guy.

   and my 8x8 stud vignette: Harry Potter and the run-away mine car?

I remember that one, and that you had at least one other vignette for that contest. Can’t seem to find any photos of these in your Brickshelf account, though...

Re: Griswold Building - Detroit, Michigan
Most people don’t realize that before the depression Detroit was percentage wise the fastest growing city in the world, and surprisingly has the 3rd largest collection of pre-depression skyscrapers in the country (after New York and Chicago)!!

It will be a long time before Jim runs out of Detroit Art Deco office towers and early 20th Century buildings as inspiration for his building talents! :-D

Gary Istok Another Metro Detroit resident...

Re: Griswold Building - Detroit, Michigan
In lugnet.announce.moc, James Garrett wrote:
   I have completed another building to include in the MichLTC portion of the ILTCO layout planned for the NMRA 2007 National Train Show to be held in Detroit on July 28 - 30th.

This MOC is a model of the Griswold Building, a midrise structure designed by architect Albert Kahn in 1929. It primarily uses old brown and old light gray for the facade.

Links:

Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=258575

MOCpages: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/31870

For those of you who are planning on participating or showing up for the NMRA NTS, I look forward to seeing you there.

-Jim

From the thumbnail on the Lugnet front page, I thought this was a photo of a real building that the MOC was based on. I’m pretty much a space guy, but this MOC amazes me. Great work!

-Dan Rubin

Re: Griswold Building - Detroit, Michigan
Thanks for the comments! I would probably be a spacer if I wasn’t so interested in architecture. I read a lot of SF and have some old dusty plastic spaceship models hanging up in my house. Have you seen my only Lego space effort (Bab5 Hyperion class heavy cruiser: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=112390)?

-Jim

Re: Griswold Building - Detroit, Michigan
In lugnet.announce.moc, James Garrett wrote:
   I have completed another building to include in the MichLTC portion of the ILTCO layout planned for the NMRA 2007 National Train Show to be held in Detroit on July 28 - 30th.

This MOC is a model of the Griswold Building, a midrise structure designed by architect Albert Kahn in 1929. It primarily uses old brown and old light gray for the facade.

Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=258575

For those of you who are planning on participating or showing up for the NMRA NTS, I look forward to seeing you there.

-Jim

Just stunning. Great details and excellent use of colors, both old and new.

Another thing I really like about this is that it is not a huge skyscraper. It is the type of building, in my view, that will be on a layout but not necessarily be the main focal point. But, if it weren’t there, you’d surely miss it. I think buildings like this are the heart and soul of a layout.

Greatly looking forward to seeing this in person.

Excellent work, as always.

best,

Jonathan

Re: Griswold Building - Detroit, Michigan
Just stunning. Great details and excellent use of colors, both old and new.

Another thing I really like about this is that it is not a huge skyscraper. It is the type of building, in my view, that will be on a layout but not necessarily be the main focal point. But, if it weren’t there, you’d surely miss it. I think buildings like this are the heart and soul of a layout.

Greatly looking forward to seeing this in person.

Excellent work, as always.

best,

Jonathan

Thanks!

While this building is not exactly small at three feet high, I did think that the Lego Detroit skyline would look a bit funny with no medium sized buildings to transition between the skycrapers and the two and three story buildings. And besides, I simply like Albert Kahn’s design for this building.

I am working on another building of almost the same size for the show. I am also working on a Detroit Public Library main branch building as a counterpart to my DIA Art Museum. At least two other MichLTC club members are building good-sized MOCs based on Detroit buildings for the show.

-Jim

Re: Griswold Building - Detroit, Michigan
In lugnet.announce.moc, James Garrett wrote:
   I have completed another building to include in the MichLTC portion of the ILTCO layout planned for the NMRA 2007 National Train Show to be held in Detroit on July 28 - 30th.

A 2 word review: “Hubba, Hubba!”

   For those of you who are planning on participating or showing up for the NMRA NTS, I look forward to seeing you there.

Ditto.

JOHN

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DecoJim/GriswoldBldg/griswold4562.jpg>>

Links:

Brickshelf: <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=258575>

MOCpages: <http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/31870>

For those of you who are planning on participating or showing up for the
NMRA
NTS, I look forward to seeing you there.

-Jim

Jim:

Another wonderful depiction of a great building.  One question - when
looking at the building from the front, at the top, you have what appears to
be two 1x4 white arch pieces side by side - however, they are only 7 studs
wide total - where they meet should be 2 studs wide (like on the side of the
building) but they are only 1 stud wide in the middle - is this a new piece?
If not, how are you getting this effect?  Thanks.

Tim