 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2566

New MOC: 30,000 piece neighborhood with minfigs that walk around
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town, lugnet.build.arch
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:38:17 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi everyone!

(Alternate subject for this post: “Why has Sean been so quiet for the last few months?”)

I was comissioned by a Dallas-area company called Healthvision to build a large LEGO model for their booth at a trade show, also in Dallas. The model is currently on display at the Dallas Convention Center, and will be there for the rest of the week. (Although it’s not open to the public - sorry TexLUG folks!)

Read all about it on MOCpages.

The model consists of 2 large buildings, 5 small buildings, a gently contoured terrain, and little minifigs that walk around from building to building. See the minifigs walk! (500K Animated GIF)

It was incredibly complicated to get the motion working (being as non-Technic-al as I am). Actually, the mechanics were simple enough, but I encountered a lot of woes with friction and the topheavy nature of a minifig. (I even assembled a 12-minute video of the various mechanical tests I ran over the last few weeks... some people have found it amusing, shrug.)

The model took 350 man-hours to complete, and was built in about a month. (Yes, do the math - I didn’t sleep much.) :)

Sean
http://www.mocpages/com/home.php/1
http://www.seankenney.com/lego/

Re: New MOC: 30,000 piece neighborhood with minfigs that walk around
In lugnet.announce.moc, Sean Kenney wrote:

   It was incredibly complicated to get the motion working (being as non-Technic-al as I am). Actually, the mechanics were simple enough, but I encountered a lot of woes with friction and the topheavy nature of a minifig. (I even assembled a 12-minute video of the various mechanical tests I ran over the last few weeks... some people have found it amusing, shrug.)

It was more than amusing; it was hilarious. I especially recommend watching it at some point where you’re not supposed to be giggling at your desk, such as at work. Just make sure you won’t get into TOO much trouble when you bust up.

Seriously though, this is amazing work Sean. I’ve experimented with moving things around with hidden magnets too, and I know how finicky they can be. My hat’s off to you for getting it to work so well, and for producing a beautiful layout besides!

Re: New MOC: 30,000 piece neighborhood with minfigs that walk around
In lugnet.announce.moc, Sean Kenney wrote:
   The model consists of 2 large buildings, 5 small buildings, a gently contoured terrain, and little minifigs that walk around from building to building. See the minifigs walk! (500K Animated GIF)

Wow that is amazing! I can only imagine how much trial and error was required to get the whole minifig-walking aspect right. Your LEGO studio is to-die-for - having foam playmats on the floor is an excellent idea.

Did you glue the entire display together?

-Bryan

Re: New MOC: 30,000 piece neighborhood with minfigs that walk around