 Town / 8070
Re: New MOC: 30,000 piece neighborhood with minfigs that walk around
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:21:16 GMT

   This is way cool! The figs actually look to me like they’re ice skating,

That’s funny... my inspiration for this was from a magnetic-based ice skating rink that my father has on his LGB model railroad. It works basically the same way.

I had to try to get the minifig’s center-of-gravity towards the back of the magnet to prevent them from spinning as they walked. It worked most of the time, but as you can see in the little animation, that old guy was walking backwards and swirling around a lot. :)

   Perhaps the Brick Apple could use a Rockefeller Plaza creation?

LOL! Not a bad idea :) I haven’t built any New York related models in quite a while, maybe it’s time. :)

   I’m curious, when a work like this is commissioned for an event, what happens to it after the event is done?

Most of the time, the client wants to keep the model -- they’re really big and cool looking, so they make great talking pieces or displays for their lobbies. In this case, they also plan on using the model at future events.

If a customer doesn’t want to keep the model or only needs it for a short event, I’ll usually skip gluing it and re-use the parts on a later project. Gluing is really only useful for two things: longevitiy, and/or safe shipping.

Sean