 Town / 8065
Re: New MOC: 30,000 piece neighborhood with minfigs that walk around
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:46:06 GMT

   See the minifigs walk! (500K Animated GIF)

Wow that is amazing! I can only imagine how much trial and error was required to get the whole minifig-walking aspect right.

Thanks!

How much trial & error? Well, way too much -- but still not enough! :) In retrospect, there were a few things that I could have planned better to make it much less of a pain:

For example, the paths of the minifigs cross each other. I did that to make the motion look a little more random, and less mechanical. But this meant that the machinery had to be synchronized so that the figs wouldn’t bump into each other, or so that the mechanisms underneath wouldn’t jam into each other as paths crossed. (What a pain!) It also meant that I had very few places to add supports for the baseplates above. That, in turn, led to floppy baseplates, which introduced a giant world of friction problems and loss-of-contact with the magnets.

   Your LEGO studio is to-die-for - having foam playmats on the floor is an excellent idea.

LOL, thanks. :)

Those playmats are hard to find! I found them in 4-packs at a Target here in Austin; I proceded to buy out the entire supply of 4 Targets here in Austin. Now I’ve discovered that Lowes has tons of them (cheaper too!) at a larger scale.

Although since they’re so brightly colored, it makes it easy to lose similarly-colored LEGO pieces on the floor! :)

But after having my “LEGO studio” crammed into a 1 bedroom Manhattan apartment, it’s nice to have a lot of “Texas sized” space in my new place to really spread out. You need to for a project this big!

   Did you glue the entire display together?

Yes... all of the models are glued. Each building can be lifted up (they’re resting on tiles) for easier transport, and the two larger buildings separate into sections. The base, containing the machinery, is 8 feet by 4 feet, and splits into four 2 x 4 foot sections. I was lucky that the event was in Dallas (“only” 200 miles away) because shipping something like this would have been a nightmare!

Sean