 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2566
New MOC: 30,000 piece neighborhood with minfigs that walk around
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town, lugnet.build.arch
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:38:17 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi everyone!

(Alternate subject for this post: “Why has Sean been so quiet for the last few months?”)

I was comissioned by a Dallas-area company called Healthvision to build a large LEGO model for their booth at a trade show, also in Dallas. The model is currently on display at the Dallas Convention Center, and will be there for the rest of the week. (Although it’s not open to the public - sorry TexLUG folks!)

Read all about it on MOCpages.

The model consists of 2 large buildings, 5 small buildings, a gently contoured terrain, and little minifigs that walk around from building to building. See the minifigs walk! (500K Animated GIF)

It was incredibly complicated to get the motion working (being as non-Technic-al as I am). Actually, the mechanics were simple enough, but I encountered a lot of woes with friction and the topheavy nature of a minifig. (I even assembled a 12-minute video of the various mechanical tests I ran over the last few weeks... some people have found it amusing, shrug.)

The model took 350 man-hours to complete, and was built in about a month. (Yes, do the math - I didn’t sleep much.) :)

Sean
http://www.mocpages/com/home.php/1
http://www.seankenney.com/lego/