 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2177
MOC: Motorized Cows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:25:14 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi everybody

I presented a “little” but really fun MOC at BricMania, July 24 and 25th, France : two cows who watch the trains run.

If you did’nt see them, watch these videos to have an idea on what I will speak here :

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ea-the-smile/FreeLUG/BricMania2004/cows.mov

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jlb/FreeLUG/Bricmania2004/dscn1955.mov

The idea :

The idea is so simple that I think nobody found it before :-) I made meadows for a little part of a train module, with the goal to put some cows on. And automaticaly, the relation between cow and train came to me. I should have to make cows who watch the trains run. The system is simple : an RCX and a light sensor which detects the train, and a micromotor to turn the head.

How did I make it

The challenge was to put the micromotor (the smallest LEGO motor) inside the cow. According to others MOC of cows, the best size is 3 studs wide. So I should put a 2-wide motor in a space of 3 studs, keeping the skin of the cow... I chose to use 2x3 panels. An other solution could be SNOT technique.

The space on the panels allows to put only an electric plate (for the alimentation of the motor), the motor and there is just the space for a plate. The electric plate is fixed with jumpers (AZMEP technique).

From this step, the second problem was to made the neck which transmits the movement from the motor to the head. The unique solution I found was to use a tile. But the horns aren’t fixed :-/

The third problem was to make the front of the cow. Here I used SNOT technique.

At last, the rest of the cow was easy to finish. A half day to build it... After, I started to write some lines of code, and built a small loop for a train in order to make tests. You can imagine my joy when I saw the cow turning the head when the train passed :-)

After these first emotions, I read a better source for the RCX and built a second cow, on the same time I made the instructions with MLCad.

Epilogue

I felt that this MOC would have success at BricMania, but not on this proportion. Everybody were under the charm of these cows. And so, the cows won the price of the best MOC of BricMania.

Today, YOU could also make your own cow(s) !

You will find the instructions on Brickshelf, and also the NQC source for the RCX.

I’m sure you will find some ideas to motorize other animals :-)

Erik / brickerik

FreeLUG member

Re: MOC: Motorized Cows