 General / 48650
Re: MOC: Motorized Cows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:43:33 GMT

I missed the initial post the first time I read about this, but my
first thought was magnets. My wife (a non-AFOL) thought magnets too
when I showed her the video. I've noticed the train magnets are strong
enough to make the magnets twitch on trains that have been parked on a
siding. The only issue would be getting the heads to reset back to a
neutral position. My wife's idea was to slant the MOC so that the
natural resting position was gravity driven, though I'm not sure the
magnets are that strong to overcome gravity. Perhaps a stationary
magnet repelling the moving magnet...

Just tossing out my 2 cents.

--Jack
GtwLUG, St. Louis

--- Joe Strout <joe@strout.net> wrote:

In lugnet.announce.moc, Erik Amzallag wrote:
The system is simple : an
RCX and a light sensor which detects the train, and a micromotor to • turn the
head.

That's exceedingly cool.  But since I don't have an RCX, it makes me
wonder
whether something similar could be done without it.  Perhaps a small
lever
that's pressed by the train as it goes past, which is connected by a
hidden
string to the heads?  Or something that uses the weight of the train
on the
tracks?

Probably not as easy or as good as using RCX, but it makes one
wonder...

Anyway, super job!