 Ambassadors / 121
Subject:
LEGO Ambassadors Status Report - Summer 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:27:00 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hello all,

Well, you asked for us to provide you with Status Reports, so here goes:
  • The LEGO Ambassador Program is currently in the process of moving to a new Server. While this does not affect fans in any way, it certainly affects us and the program. We have been testing our new site, and working to improve the interface and communications in the new system.

  • We have provided TLG with an official ‘Issues List’, which is comprised of all of the fan issues we have gathered. That’s right, everything from the color variances, to suggestions for new sets, to set availabilty. Trust me, it is quite comprehensive.

  • We are working on submitting some new ideas to TLG. Of course we can’t tell you what they are, but they are cool.

  • Some LAs were present at BrickWorld and other recent events, and have shared your comments and issues with TLG and the rest of the group.

I hope this gives you a general idea of what we do. More reports to come....

Nelson Yrizarry
LEGO Ambassador - Cycle 5

Re: LEGO Ambassadors Status Report - Summer 2007
In lugnet.ambassadors, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:
   .. * We are working on submitting some new ideas to TLG. Of course we can’t tell you what they are, but they are cool.

Nelson-

OK, I’ll bite: Why would you need to keep ideas submitted to TLC on behalf of the community secret from the community?

-Ted SCLTC

In lugnet.ambassadors, Ted Michon wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:
   .. * We are working on submitting some new ideas to TLG. Of course we can’t tell you what they are, but they are cool.

Nelson-

OK, I’ll bite: Why would you need to keep ideas submitted to TLC on behalf of the community secret from the community?

-Ted SCLTC

Duh! Terrorism of course. 1

Tim

1 Well it seems like a good exucse for every other secret or breach of rights since 2001 so I figure it’s got to be good for this one too.

Re: LEGO Ambassadors Status Report - Summer 2007
In lugnet.ambassadors, Ted Michon wrote:
   Nelson-

OK, I’ll bite: Why would you need to keep ideas submitted to TLC on behalf of the community secret from the community?

-Ted SCLTC

Ted-

The ideas submitted to TLG were made by the Ambassadors themselves for set/theme designs. Sorry for not phrasing that correctly in my report.

“Big Daddy” Nelson

Re: LEGO Ambassadors Status Report - Summer 2007
In lugnet.ambassadors, Ted Michon wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:
   .. * We are working on submitting some new ideas to TLG. Of course we can’t tell you what they are, but they are cool.

Nelson-

OK, I’ll bite: Why would you need to keep ideas submitted to TLC on behalf of the community secret from the community?

Nelson’s reply is good, but it should also be said that it mainly isn’t to keep secret from the community, but to keep secret from rival companies. If TLG’s plans are made known before they are ready to act, other companies could rush a product out to steal TLG’s thunder and sales.

Regarding secret from the community - that does happen, but to a lesser extent. An example would be how many in the castle community were upset that the Viking sets were redesigned before final release.

Lastly, as Tim notes, terrorism is always a factor.

-Lenny

In lugnet.ambassadors, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Ted Michon wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:
   .. * We are working on submitting some new ideas to TLG. Of course we can’t tell you what they are, but they are cool.

Nelson-

OK, I’ll bite: Why would you need to keep ideas submitted to TLC on behalf of the community secret from the community?

Nelson’s reply is good, but it should also be said that it mainly isn’t to keep secret from the community, but to keep secret from rival companies. If TLG’s plans are made known before they are ready to act, other companies could rush a product out to steal TLG’s thunder and sales.

That surely doesn’t apply to the ‘Issues List’ though. I for one would like to see what was on that list, and why.

   Regarding secret from the community - that does happen, but to a lesser extent. An example would be how many in the castle community were upset that the Viking sets were redesigned before final release.

I’m confused. How did they know thery were redesigned if they were kept secret?

   Lastly, as Tim notes, terrorism is always a factor.

Those kooky terrorists.

   -Lenny

In lugnet.ambassadors, Allister McLaren wrote:

   That surely doesn’t apply to the ‘Issues List’ though. I for one would like to see what was on that list, and why.

What’s on the list? The standard range of complaints that you read about on this or other fora: complaints about colour and quality, piece and set design, themes, gender bias/availability, leaks, availability and pricing and so on.

Why? Because they’re fan concerns.

   Regarding secret from the community - that does happen, but to a lesser extent. An example would be how many in the castle community were upset that the Viking sets were redesigned before final release.

I’m confused. How did they know thery were redesigned if they were kept secret?

The vikings designs were NOT kept secret. That is the problem. Had the earlier designs been kept secret, the castle community would not have known how different the final designs were, and presumably would not have been upset that they had been changed.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

In lugnet.ambassadors, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Allister McLaren wrote:

   That surely doesn’t apply to the ‘Issues List’ though. I for one would like to see what was on that list, and why.

What’s on the list? The standard range of complaints that you read about on this or other fora: complaints about colour and quality, piece and set design, themes, gender bias/availability, leaks, availability and pricing and so on.

That’s still a little vague. I just think if the ambassadors are going to complain in the name of the community, the community should get a say in what they complain about.

Personally, I think it’d be better to take just a couple of the complaints to the company, preferably ones that are readily fixable (if any are) rather than a lengthy list dumped on them all at once, and I’m disappointed I didn’t get a chance to say so before the ambassadors acted in my name.

   Why? Because they’re fan concerns.

   Regarding secret from the community - that does happen, but to a lesser extent. An example would be how many in the castle community were upset that the Viking sets were redesigned before final release.

I’m confused. How did they know thery were redesigned if they were kept secret?

The vikings designs were NOT kept secret. That is the problem. Had the earlier designs been kept secret, the castle community would not have known how different the final designs were, and presumably would not have been upset that they had been changed.

So the preference amongst ambassadors and the company is for more secrecy?

Allister

Re: LEGO Ambassadors Status Report - Summer 2007
In lugnet.ambassadors, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Allister McLaren wrote:
   That surely doesn’t apply to the ‘Issues List’ though. I for one would like to see what was on that list, and why.

What’s on the list? The standard range of complaints that you read about on this or other fora: complaints about colour and quality, piece and set design, themes, gender bias/availability, leaks, availability and pricing and so on.

Why? Because they’re fan concerns.

Just a point here. I think this is part of why the Ambassadors got that “Unbassador” logo that I’m sure everyone has seen floating around. Here’s a perfect example of something that you could have shared with the community, but didn’t and haven’t. Please do. The report that you shared doesn’t have any real news or content-- it’s essentially a re-worded description of what Ambassadors do (apart from the new server thing). We already know that you report fan complaints and feedback, we already know that you review upcoming products, we already know that you suggest new products, we already know you go to events.

I’d recommend giving the fan community some substance, so we FEEL like we’re involved. I realize that it probably doesn’t actually accomplish anything. You probably ARE aware of all the major fan issues without having to solicit more input. And telling us what problems we told you about similarly doesn’t tell us anything new. But what it DOES do is makes the community feel like you’re ambassadors. It makes the community feel included.

Don’t get me wrong, though. It’s not like I think that the Ambassadors do nothing. But I still think the Ambassador program is inappropriately named. Given most of what we’ve seen from the Ambassadors I would call it a focus group, or a market research group. You *do* do a lot, I know, and the majority of things you do has to be kept secret. But when it *doesn’t* have be kept secret, please, tell us in spades. And when you’re asked for community feedback, ask us. Make the community feel like it’s part of the process.

DaveE

In lugnet.ambassadors, David Eaton wrote:
[...]

While I agree and reiterate Dave’s points, I think that LEGO sees the ambassador program a bit differently. They are not LEGO employees assigned as ambassadors to the AFOL community. I believe LEGO sees them as AFOL members assigned as ambassadors to the LEGO company. Which is fuel for my argument that the community should have a say in who we send as ambassadors to LEGO. (Not that I’ve been disappointed in any of the choices so far).

Perhaps something the current set of ambassadors could recommend is better communication the other direction. I have seen much less from Steve Witt than we got from Jake McKee. I don’t think most of us are looking for secret product info, but two-way conversations keep both parties invested.

Aaron

Re: LEGO Ambassadors Status Report - Summer 2007