 Administrative / General / 7999
Re: Let’s be inclusive, and not exclusive. (was Re: My point.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:40:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
However, as far as I can see it looks like you reacted to his
criticism of you more than anything else.
Interesting guess, but wrong.  Here are the threshold breakers:
Not really a guess.

Interesting "conclusion" then; still wrong.

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6608
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6609

Both of which were before your post in the same thread:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6616

But you did not disallow him for more than an hour after you read
the "threshold breakers", in the intervening time you read and replied to
his denigration(1) of you?

Sometimes I read chronologically and sometimes I read reverse-chronologically.
My newsreader sorts everything by time, and gives me a near-live feed, so if
I happen to be sitting at the screen and notice a new post appear, I'll see it
within typically 60 seconds of its having been posted.  If I'm away from the
keyboard for a while and messages stack up, I often read messages in an ad hoc
order.  My newsreader doesn't record the timestamp of the time I first passed
my read-cursor over an article, however, so I couldn't even begin to tell you
what order I read them, but in any event I wouldn't (polite way of saying you
shouldn't) make assumptions that messages get read chronologically by anyone
or that they're always at the keyboard to respond to something within a half
hour.

But you would still have read at least read a message in order to reply to it?
But I take your point.

Further, I can't remember anyone being excluded from LUGNET without having
a right to reply in admin.general... ...but I don't claim to have 100%
knowledge of this area.

Other than cases where someone's email was discovered to be a dead-end or be a
spammer, I believe that's correct.  No one has been obviously malicious here
before.  Is there a point to what you are suggesting?  If you care to continue
discussions/relations with MM, is there something that is stopping you from
carrying on via email or RTL?

I'm not sure I do want to speak to him, but I'm also not sure about how is
banning came about. I pointed out posts earlier which (I think) were worse
than his. So why were they allowed, when his "input" is not?

Scott A

--Todd